Work from home and study from home amid the new COVID-19 wave have caused demand for laptops to skyrocket.
Parents in HCM City and elsewhere said while earlier they had been content to have just one common laptop at home or have their children use smartphones, they now have to buy laptops for their children's online classes.
Nguyen Dinh of the city's Binh Thanh District said he decided to buy a laptop for his son because he could not let his son share his constantly, but most shops had run out of those priced at below VND 10 million (US$434).
Le Hoang Thanh, head of FPT Shop's laptop product line, said sales rose 150 per cent in February.
Le Tri Cong, director of Tri Cong Informatics Commerce and Service said sales of desktops and used laptops have also increased as people look for cheap computers for their children.
Laptops priced at VND10-12 million ($434-520 million) have been the most popular followed by brands like Dell, HP, Acer, and Asus that cost VND16-20 million.
With online classes depending on videos, sellers also reported a spike in demand for webcams.
Many retailers said certain laptop brands are under-stocked amid the rising demand, but supply is hampered by COVID-19.
But despite the demand, prices have remained relatively steady, with many retailers even offering promotions such as discounts and free programmes. — VNS
- Ripple effect of property boom sees million-dollar homes spring up outside blue-chip suburbs
- I spent five years speaking with people in nursing homes. This is what I learnt about loneliness
- Keeping Half the Planet Human-Free to Protect Animals Would Affect Over a Billion People, Study Finds
- Scott Morrison is slammed for an 'insensitive' tweet saying people who lost homes to bushfires should cheer on the Australian cricket team
- Study Finds Work-Life Balance Could Be A Matter Of Life And Death
- I'm Squarespace Chief Creative Officer David Lee, and This Is How I Work
- Acupuncture shows promise in migraine treatment, study says
- I'm Author Sarah Pinsker, and This Is How I Work
- From air purifiers to work-from-home, Delhi companies help staff deal with toxic air
- CA Insurance Commissioner Demands Action From Companies Over Wildfire Non-Renewals
- 7 Predictions For The Future Of Work
- I'm Will Shortz, New York Times Crossword Editor, and This Is How I Work
Demand for laptops booms as people study and work from home have 398 words, post on bizhub.vn at March 1, 2021. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.