The subsidiary of Vietnam's largest private conglomerate, Vingroup, was one of 57 auto companies allowed to test self-driving vehicles with a driver along with Apple, Tesla, BMW, and Volkswagen, according to the state Department of Motor Vehicles website.
An auto company needs to acquire testing permits with and without a driver each before it can receive permit for deployment in the state.
VinFast last month unveiled three new self-driving electric SUVs saying they all meet the highest global safety standards including five-star ratings from the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and the European New Car Assessment Programme.
Customers can start ordering the cars in May this year in Vietnam and in November in the U.S., Canada and the E.U.
VinFast sold 31,500 cars in Vietnam last year, with its VinFast sedan and SUV models among the bestsellers in their respective segments.
The company entered the auto industry three years ago. It has an auto plant in the northern province of Hai Phong and research and development centers in Australia, Germany and the U.S.
It said the manufacturing of electric bikes, buses and cars is part of a strategy to become a hi-tech global auto manufacturer and help develop green transportation and reduce emissions.
- What we expect at CES 2021: Autonomous cars, EVs, and a mind-reading bike?
- Apple will take almost 5 years to be ready with its self-driving electric car
- 14 awesome flying taxis and cars currently in development
- New self-driving car algorithm keeps you safe by constantly predicting doom
- The best commuter cars for 2021
- Waymo won't talk about 'self-driving' cars anymore, in apparent dig at Tesla
- One of Europe’s largest carmakers will test its self-driving cars in Singapore
- FCA To Join BMW Group, Intel and Mobileye To Develop Autonomous Driving Platform
- Apple Car speculation is back. Here's what we know so far
- Hyundai reveals it is in 'early talks' with Apple about building a self-driving electric car - sending its share price soaring 20 per cent
- Auto safety regulators to unveil voluntary self-driving testing data-sharing effort
- Tim Cook confirms Apple is working on autonomous driving systems
VinFast licensed to test autonomous cars in US have 341 words, post on e.vnexpress.net at February 8, 2021. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.