Hanoi (VNA) – A Vietnam ese delegation led by Director General of the Vietnam Environment Administration Nguyen Van Tai attended the fifth session of the UN Environment Assembly (UNEA-5) held virtually on February 22-23.
The overall theme of UNEA-5 is “Strengthening Actions for Nature to Achieve the Sustainable Development Goals ”.
The theme calls for strengthened action to protect and restore nature and nature-based solutions to achieve the SDGs in its three complementary dimensions (social, economic and environmental).
The delegates discussed the implementation of the UN General Assembly’s Resolution 73/333 on strengthening global environmental law and governance, and considered the organisation of a special session celebrating the 50th anniversary of the UN Environment Programme (UNEP) in March.
The remaining agenda items of the UNEA-5 are expected to be discussed in-person from February 28 to March 2.
UNEA-5 provides member states and stakeholders with a platform for sharing and implementing successful approaches that contribute to the achievement of the environmental dimension of the 2030 Agenda and the SDGs, including the goals related to the eradication of poverty and sustainable patterns of consumption and production.
Vietnam also attended the fifth meeting of the Open-ended Committee of Permanent Representatives (OECPR-5) held online from February 15-17, in preparation for UNEA-5.
The UNEA is the world’s highest-level decision-making body on the environment, with a universal membership of all 193 member states. Through its ministerial declaration and resolutions, the Assembly provides leadership, catalyzes intergovernmental action on the environment, and contributes to the implementation of the UN 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
The UNEA is also the governing body of the UNEP. It has had four sessions starting in 2014, and was preceded by the Governing Council of the UN Environment Programme, which was composed of 58 member states./.
- Raisina Dialogue to begin on Tuesday, PM Modi to attend inaugural session
- Raisina Dialogue to begin today, PM Modi to attend inaugural session
- Sonia, Priyanka attend brainstorming session in Rae Bareli
- EU-Vietnam trade deal puts spotlight on workers' rights
- Vietnam looks to integrate UN Sendai Framework into national strategy
- Science and technology - a basic foundation for Vietnam to develop
- Vietnam promotes Asia-Pacific parliamentary partnership
- PM Phúc has working session with economic advisory group
- UK launches $2.6mn project to help Vietnam safeguard deltas
- VN-Index rises in last session before Tet break
- Workshop seeks to improve Vietnam’s business environment
- NA attends meeting of female ex-soldiers in Ben Tre
Vietnam attends fifth session of UN Environment Assembly have 392 words, post on en.vietnamplus.vn at February 23, 2021. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.