Developed by the Nanogen Pharmaceutical Biotechnology JSC and the Military Medical University, Nanocovax is Vietnam’s first COVID-19 vaccine to reach the human trial stage.
The 35 volunteers were chosen among about 300 people who registered to participate in the second-stage trial of the vaccine at the University after undergoing rigorous medical examinations. They are divided into three groups for receiving three different doses of 25mcg, 50mcg and 75mcg, and one group with five people getting placebo.
According to a representative from the University, a total 560 volunteers, aged 18-60, including those with several diseases such as hypertension, dyslipidemia and diabetes, among others, will participate in the second-stage trial, which is carried out in Hanoi and the Mekong Delta province of Long An.
Lieutenant-General Do Quyet, Director of the Military Medical University, said since the trial sees the participation of volunteers with underlying health conditions, competent authorities have been prepared for all scenarios and ensure safety for all volunteers.
Results of the trial will be announced in May 2021 before preparing for the third-stage trial during which only one single shot of the vaccine will be administered to 10,000-15,000 people from both domestic and foreign pandemic-hit regions, Quyet added.
Present at the second-stage trial of Nano Covax at Military Medical University, Deputy Prime Minister Vu Duc Dam encouraged the volunteers and the medical workers, while expressing his firm belief in the ability of the Vietnamese scientists in successfully developing COVID-19 vaccines.
The first-stage trial of the Nano Covax vaccine showed that it is likely to be effective against B117 variant from the UK.
Vietnam is one among 40 countries in the world that have started human trials of a COVID-19 vaccine, after successfully producing coronavirus test kits early into the pandemic.
The country also has several other COVID-19 candidate vaccines being developed, which are IVAC by the Institute of Vaccines and Medical Biologicals, VABIOTECH by the Company for Vaccine and Biological Production No 1, and POLYVAC by the Centre for Research and Production of Vaccines and Biologicals.
- The Painful Truth About Last Year’s Failed Flu Vaccine
- miRagen Therapeutics Announces Initiation of Second Phase 1 Clinical Trial of MRG-110
- Fury as NHS recruits 100 doctors from India only for Home Office to deny them all visas
- Windrush scandal: Man who has lived in Britain for 54 years misses daughter's wedding after Home Office refuses him a passport
- Personalized vaccine helps patients fight ovarian cancer
- Former longtime Starks volunteer fire chief speaks out
- *NSYNC receives star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame
- Kevin Daigle pursuing intoxication defense in capital trial
- Photos: Former San Antonio anchor Sarah Lucero begins second act
- Ethiopia: Ministry to Start Providing Vaccination Against Cervical Cancer in October This Year
- Plymouth woman injected deadly dose of drug into boyfriend's neck
- Dar gears up to produce own livestock vaccines next year
First 35 volunteers receive injections of home-grown COVID-19 vaccine in second-stage trial have 456 words, post on en.qdnd.vn at February 26, 2021. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.