The proposal submitted to the Ministry of Transport envisages that the railway, built after 2030, would connect with a high-speed rail route in China's southern region of Guangxi, which borders Lang Son.
The province suggests that the railway be built alongside the existing National Highway 1A to reduce road traffic.
With China being the second largest buyer of Vietnamese goods after the U.S., and the largest seller to Vietnam, there is large demand for cross-border transport between the two countries.
However, exporters prefer roads over railways because the latter has been under-developed for decades and lacks a comprehensive network of routes to ensure convenience.
This has resulted in frequent container truck congestion at border gates, especially when exporters need to ship perishable goods like fruits to China.
Vietnam currently has over 3,000 kilometers of railway tracks, none of them high-speed.
Last year, railways accounted for just 0.3 percent of total cargo transport, compared to 76 percent on roads, according to the General Statistics Office.
The transport ministry is currently studying the feasibility of a North-South high speed railway route with speeds up to 320 kilometers per hour.
- Softil’s BEEHD Technology Selected for MCC Terminals in South Korea’s High-Speed Incheon Airport Railway Link
- Rick Scott and wife invested in parent company bidding on Tampa high-speed rail
- Tampa group getting a firsthand look at South Florida high-speed rail
- Video: Polish driver narrowly misses high-speed train after crashing through barrier
- High-Speed Rail Brings Autonomy Fight to Hong Kong Courts
- Tom Golisano's move on the upstart high-speed internet provider Greenlight has the potential to transform upstate telecom
- Germantown shoplifting suspects crash car after high-speed chase
- Galactic Snowtubing is Camelback Resort's newest high-speed adventure
- Despite ‘disaster risk,’ trains haul highly flammable gas cargo across South Florida
- South Korea Proposes Railway 'Community' With North Korea_ China And U.S.
- Russian Railways keeps plan to order extra trains from Siemens: TASS
- Europe seeks to set global trade rules after Trump steps back
Border province seeks high-speed railway have 315 words, post on e.vnexpress.net at February 18, 2021. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.