A YOUNG couple have been left heartbroken after finding the body of a baby boy in woods at a golf course.
Devastated neighbours told how the walkers were left distraught after the discovery at Brackenwood golf course in the Wirral, Merseyside, on Friday.
Merseyside Police are investigating the incident and treating the death as “unexplained”.
Cops are also trying to trace the mother of the baby to check her welfare and offer any support.
Today teddy bears and floral tributes were left at the scene. One read: “Sweet dreams and rest in peace.”
A force spokesman said it was not yet clear when the baby died, how long the body had been there or the cause of death.
Dog walker Sue McLoughlan said a young couple made the tragic discovery after seeing them looking “upset and ashen-faced”.
Sue, 47, said: “I saw the couple being taken away in a police car so I think it must have been them who found the baby’s body.
“They were young – in their 20s – and looked upset and ashen-faced. It must have been awful for them.
“It’s just so sad.”
She said a path runs across the golf course near to where the body was found, thought to be close to the 16th or 18th fairway.
Sue added: “I thought a dog walker or somebody else would have found the body sooner”.
Another resident, who didn’t wish to be named, said he’d also seen a couple speaking to police.
He said: “I saw a lot police cars arriving at the golf course and walked up the road to see what was going on.
“Then I saw a couple being taken away by police, so I assume they had something to do with the baby’s body being found.”
Merseyside Police confirmed to The Sun Online that the tragic find was made by a couple who were out walking their dogs.
Large sections of the golf course and a road next to it remained sealed off today and several police vehicles were parked inside.
A forensic tent remained erected on part of the course and teams of officers could be seen combing the area.
A post mortem is due to take place on Monday.
Detective Chief Superintendent Lee Turner said: “This is obviously a very distressing incident but I want the public to be reassured that we will do everything in our powers to investigate what has taken place.
“I would ask that people avoid speculating about what has happened until the full facts are known.
“At this stage, all we can say is that the body of what appears to be a full-term baby boy was discovered in a wooded area on the golf course yesterday and police were alerted.
Most read in News
Fury as clergyman says clap for Tom was ‘cult of white British nationalism’
SAS trooper fights for life after crash with US soldier during 18,000ft sky dive
Hotel quarantine ‘red list’ may be expanded as 27 countries find Covid variants
Rishi ‘wants lockdown 3 to be the last & fears scientists are moving goalposts’
JAB FAB FEB
Covid jab rollout hits 10 MILLION mark as UK officially passes second wave peak
DUBAI JAIL FEAR
Brit faces two years in Dubai jail for sending ‘F*** You’ text to flatmate
“A post mortem will take place on Monday to establish how and when he died and how long his body was there before being discovered.
“Extensive enquiries are currently being carried out to trace the mother of the baby to check her welfare and offer any support. I would ask anyone who has any information which could assist us with that to contact us as a matter of urgency.
“I would also ask anyone who has any information which could further assist the investigation to contact us either by calling 101, DM @MerPolCC or anonymously via CrimestoppersUK on 0800 555 111.”
- 'A fun, feisty woman who battled many demons': Piers Morgan and 'heartbroken' Duncan James lead a host of celebrity tributes to Tara Palmer-Tomkinson as she dies aged 45
- My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding star who died in twin ‘suicide pact’ spoke of ‘money issues’ before tragic death
- Did Jeremy Corbyn get his suit from Marx & Spencer... and who is Emma Watson's self partner? Find out in Britain's most irreverent quiz of the year
- A millennial and a baby boomer trade places: ‘I can’t help but feel a stab of envy’
- EXCLUSIVE: Hunter Biden's baby mama calls him a deadbeat who couldn't 'pick their child out of a line-up' as he is investigated by Casey Anthony's private eye who claimed a psychic told him where to find Caylee's body
- Jordyn Woods 'moves out' of Kylie Jenner's home and heads to her mom's house amid Tristan Thompson cheating scandal
- 'Love you forever': Pregnant widow's heartbreaking tribute to her husband who died beside his father while trying to protect their property against raging bushfires
- 'I loved him and knew him since he was a little boy': Ex-boxer Michael Watson - whose life was saved by Britain's top neurosurgeon - reveals his heartbreak at drowning death of doctor's 24-year-old son
- Tragic Big Fat Gypsy Wedding star was a dad to son, nine, as ex left distraught over ‘suicide pact’
- Movies on TV this week: ‘Young Frankenstein’ and more
- A Decomposing Body, 10 Duped Girlfriends and the Saga of the 'Alien' Con Man in Hollywood's Backyard
- Khloe Kardashian DELETES recent pictures of love rat Tristan Thompson from Instagram after he 'cheated' on her with Kylie's pal Jordyn Woods
Young couple heartbroken after finding body of baby in woods at Wirral golf course as tributes paid to tragic boy have 921 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at January 31, 2021. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.