As of January 3, 34 countries recorded the mutated SARS-CoV-2. The WHO announced that the new variant could spread about 50% to 70% faster than previous forms of the virus.
The Vietnamese Ministry of Health has proposed Prime Minister Nguyen Xuan Phuc to stop operating and restrict licensing flights to Vietnam from countries and territories infected with a new variant of SARS-CoV-2.
|Vietnam health ministry proposes to suspend flights to prevent new variant of SARS-CoV-2. Photo: Thanh Binh|
According to the Health Ministry's report, Covid-19 pandemic keeps expanding in many countries. On December 18, 2020, the World Health Organization (WHO) announced a new variant of the SARS-CoV-2 in the UK could spread about 50% to 70% faster than previous forms of the virus. As of January 3, 34 countries recorded the new variants of SARS-CoV-2, according to the Ministry of Health.
So far, more than 40 countries have suspended travel to and from the UK, and countries that have recorded new variants of SARS-CoV-2.
In Vietnam, a Vietnamese woman returning from the UK was found to be infected with the mutated SARS-CoV-2. She arrived together with 305 passengers on Vietnam Airlines flight VN50 that landed in the southern city of Can Tho on December 22, 2020.
She was confirmed on January 2 as the first case of the new mutant coronavirus in Vietnam. She is in stable health condition after being quarantined at a hospital in the southern province of Tra Vinh.
Currently, Vietnam has only allowed arrivals of foreign diplomats, businesses and highly-skilled workers.
So far, the country has reported 1,497 Covid-19 cases, including 1,339 recoveries and 35 deaths.
- Health ministry confirms India’s first case of coronavirus in Kerala
- Passengers from China asked to fill out health declaration forms, as Wuhan flights grounded
- Coronavirus fears on British Airways flight from Hong Kong as plane is put on lockdown on the runway at Heathrow and passengers are quizzed about their health and travel history
- China's contagious killer virus comes to the US: American man in his 30s is hospitalized in Washington state with SARS-like coronavirus after visiting Wuhan, CDC says
- Public health bosses urge 2,000 recent arrivals from China to call NHS if they feel ill and tells doctors to ask patients with flu symptoms if they’ve travelled to Wuhan as 14 people are tested for coronavirus in UK
- Leading Chinese doctor investigating killer coronavirus outbreak admits he has caught the SARS-like infection as furious families accuse hospitals of not testing patients with tell-tale symptoms
- World Health Organization declares China's coronavirus is a HIGH risk to other countries and admits it rated it 'moderate' by MISTAKE last week - as death toll rises to 82
- Three Japanese citizens evacuated from Wuhan test POSITIVE for new coronavirus that has killed 170 - as the Philippines and India become the latest countries to confirm cases
- Coronavirus | What's new in the China virus outbreak
- Coronavirus death toll overtakes SARS epidemic
- Number of Wuhan coronavirus cases inside mainland China overtakes SARS, as virus spreads worldwide
- Russia closes its eastern border as killer coronavirus spreads to EVERY region of China: Death toll jumps to 170 and almost 8,300 people have caught the deadly SARS-like infection worldwide
Health Ministry proposes suspension of inbound flights to prevent new variants of SARS-CoV-2 have 501 words, post on hanoitimes.vn at January 5, 2021. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.