On Christmas Eve, many businesses and federal offices, including the U.S. Postal Service (USPS) and the offices for the Social Security Administration (SSA), are either closed or will operate on a modified schedule.
“Christmas Eve is not a regularly scheduled holiday. While the president has the authority to grant leave it is usually announced just before the Christmas holiday,” the U.S. Office of Personnel Management (OPM) explains.
“All executive departments and agencies of the Federal Government shall be closed and their employees excused from duty on Thursday, December 24, 2020, the day before Christmas Day.
“The heads of executive departments and agencies may determine that certain offices and installations of their organizations, or parts thereof, must remain open and that certain employees must report for duty on December 24, 2020, for reasons of national security, defense, or other public need,” the order noted.
Here we look at the Christmas Eve hours of operation at the USPS and social security offices.
Mail is delivered per usual on Christmas Eve but some USPS offices may close early on the day. Contact your local branch to confirm exact hours. Business customers are advised to check with their bulk mail entry unit for hours of operation.
The USPS said: “Blue collection boxes with final collection times before 12 p.m. (noon) will not be affected by early closing on December 24.
“If a box has a final collection time after 12 p.m., its mail may be picked up earlier. For mail pickup on December 24, please put your mail into blue collection boxes by noon regardless of the final collection times posted on the box.
“Customers who need later mail pickups on December 24 should visit their local Post Office,” the USPS adds.
Social security offices
According to the SSA website, all social security offices are open on Christmas Eve. However, all in-person services have been closed from March 17 amid the ongoing COVID-19 outbreak.
The SSA explains: “This decision protects the population we serve—older Americans and people with underlying medical conditions—and our employees during the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic. However, we are still able to provide critical services.
“During the COVID-19 pandemic, we are asking the public to first try to use our online services before calling us. If you cannot use these online services, you can find the phone number for your local office by using our Field Office Locator and looking under Additional Office Information.
“If you already had a scheduled appointment with your local office, an employee from that office will attempt to call you at your scheduled appointment time,” the SSA added.
See the COVID-19 section of the SSA website for more information on how to access SSA services by phone and online amid the ongoing pandemic.
- Are Post Offices Open on Christmas Day? USPS, UPS and FedEx Holiday Hours
- Republicans REFUSE to give Trump the $2,000 relief checks he demanded and say they won't sign up to Pelosi's plan for Christmas Eve deal - setting up crisis which could shut down government
- Christmas bubbles are 'under review': Minister urges 'minimal' mixing of families between Dec 23-27 as health experts warn the easing will 'cost lives' amid fears over new 'more infectious' Covid strain - despite claims it is just 'normal virus evolution'
- Last day TODAY to order from John Lewis, Currys, Next and more for Christmas delivery
- Fresh veg, salad, raspberries and strawberries will run out in January if lorry chaos isn't sorted TODAY -experts warn - as desperate shoppers queue up from 5.30am to strip supermarket shelves with just three days left until Christmas
- 'Let's do this!': Pelosi AGREES with Trump after he threatened to VETO relief bill unless Congress increases checks from $600 to $2,000 - as Dems reveal Christmas Eve measure that will see amount boosted as long as no lawmaker objects
- Covid-19: Christmas hopes grudgingly dashed for Europeans
- Forgotten something? Michael Gove shocks shoppers after being spotted laden with bags out in London - despite knowing about Tier 4 plans hours before anyone else
- ‘Dangerous time’: Some Bay Area hospitals close to running out of ICU beds as death tolls near records
- Brexit: EU and UK publish trade agreement
- 'It feels like Armageddon, I feel like crying': Michelin-starred restaurateur hits out as new London Tier 3 lockdown puts thousands of pubs and eateries on the brink just before Christmas
Are Post Offices, Social Security Closed on Christmas Eve? have 731 words, post on www.newsweek.com at December 24, 2020. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.