Young Indian player Nihal Sarin emerged winner in the Chess.com's 2020 Junior Speed Online Chess Championship, beating Russia's world junior No. 6 Alexey Sarana 18-7 in the final.
The title win earned the 16-year old Sarin $ 8,766 and enabled him to qualify for the 2020 Speed Chess Championship Final which will feature the world's best players.
Sarin had beaten American Andrew Tang, Australia's Anton Smirnov and Armenian Haik Martirosyan en route the title.
Past winners of the Speed Chess Championship include Magnus Carlsen (2017) and Hikaru Nakamura (2018, 2019).
The Indian teenager had lost in the first round of the 2019 Junior Speed Chess event.
According to a press release, five-time world champion Viswanathan Anand praised Sarin, saying, "Nihal is one of the world's fastest juniors, and this result confirms it."
Sarin, a former world Under-10 champion, will join the Indian men's team that is taking part in the Asian Online Nations (Regions) Cup Team Championship which began Saturday.
- Divya Kakran Wins India's Second Gold In Asian Wrestling Championship 2020
- Ugandan chess prodigy's story to become Hollywood film
- GM Koneru Humpy Wins Cairns Cup Tournament, Moves to 2nd in the World
- Badminton Asia Team Championships: India go down to Malaysia
- International Hockey Federation announce India as hosts for FIH Junior Men's World Cup 2021
- Gurpreet Singh looks to put on an improved show as Greco-Roman action continues at World Wrestling Championships
- Sports Shorts: Indian men edge out Thailand to enter semis of Asia Team Championships
- Sindhu wins third successive ESPN's Female Sportsperson of the Year award
- Koneru Humpy wins Cairns Cup with six points from nine rounds
- Sindhu wins third successive ESPN’s Female Sportsperson of the Year award
- Chess queen of Africa
- Two Red Bulls, no shirt: Energy drinks are the 'jet fuel' that keep Ed Orgeron, coaches at 'full speed'
India’s Nihal Sarin wins Junior Speed Chess Championship have 303 words, post on indianexpress.com at October 11, 2020. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.