An outbreak in Victoria has seen over 100 deaths in the past week, but new infections may be slowing. Source: Victorian Government Australia has recorded its deadliest day of the coronavirus pandemic amid a second wave of infections in Melbourne. Victoria state – of which Melbourne is the capital – reported 19 deaths on Monday. Victoria has now seen about two-thirds of Australia’s total 314 deaths and approximately 21,400 cases. But the number of daily infections – though still in the hundreds – has dropped in recent days, prompting hope that a strict lockdown is working. Melbourne’s second lockdown began over a month ago, but residents have been subject to a night-time curfew and stricter requirements since 3 August. Workers must carry a permit to leave home, and all non-essential businesses have been shut. Mask-wearing in public is also compulsory. Victoria reported 322 new cases on Monday, down from a high of 725 recorded five days ago. Other states reported few or no cases. More than 100 deaths have been recorded in Victoria in just the past week as hospital admission rates also rise. Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews said it was too early to tell if the state was at… Read full this story
- COVID-19: China’s Wuhan to test all 11 million residents in 10 days after new infections
- Covid-19 update: India records nearly 10,000 new infections in last 3 days
- Australia records two-month low in COVID-19 cases with NO new infections in seven states and territories - but millions STILL can't go to the pub and restaurants say they can't reopen under 10-person rule
- Coronavirus Australia latest: 5 April at a glance
- Coronavirus | French death toll close to 26,000, new infections jump
- French coronavirus death toll close to 26,000, new infections jump
- Coronavirus: When will the second wave of infections hit?
- Coronavirus | State should prevent new infections in districts, says PMK founder S. Ramadoss
- Wuhan to test all residents for coronavirus in 10 days after new cases emerge
- Coronavirus: Australia sets out three-point plan to lift lockdown by July
Coronavirus: Australia records deadliest day but fewer new infections have 335 words, post on vietnamnet.vn at October 8, 2020. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.