In response to the “Clean up the world" campaign and the “Anti plastic waste” movement, on September 27, at Cu Lao Xanh Island in Nhon Ly Commune, offshore from Quy Nhon City, the Ho Chi Minh Communist Youth Union Central Committee coordinated with the Binh Dinh Provincial Youth Union to announce the model on building Cu Lao Xanh into a “Youth island without plastic waste”.
The model will be deployed for three months, focusing on activities on providing information about the harmful effects of plastic waste on the environment and human health; calling for joint efforts in protecting the environment; and changing behaviours and habits of using disposable plastic products to help to reduce plastic waste.
The local mobile youth team for environmental protection in Cu Lao Xanh will play a key role in implementing the model. Twice a week, the team will organise communications activities and inspections to remind islanders to dispose of trash at the correct places, while limiting the use of disposable plastic. They will also provide guidance on waste classification, conduct sea cleaning and organise other environmental protection activities on the island.
Youth Union members skilfully paint murals to convey the message of environmental protection on the island. (Photo: NDO/Ngoc Vy)
After the launch, hundreds of local youngsters gathered to collect waste at the seaside, organised the exchange of plastic waste for gifts and joined in painting images to convey the message of environmental protection. They also placed environmentally friendly recycling trash bins and set up the “Fish eating trash” collection model, as well as planting trees and giving medical examination and medicine and gifts to 200 local people.
In addition, the organisers also awarded thousands of animals, farming materials and tools to local youth, along with 20 gifts to disadvantaged students and national flags to fishermen on the island, with a total value of nearly VND160 million.
On the same day, in Nhon Ly Commune (Quy Nhon City), various environmental protection activities took place, including collecting waste on local beaches, planting trees, placing eco-friendly recycling bins and installing the “Fish eating trash” garbage collecting model, at a total value of nearly VND60 million.
- Kroger to phase out plastic bags
- A first apartment with (almost) zero waste. How?
- City of Miami Beach Moves toward Becoming a Plastic-Free City
- Radioactive waste unearthed at Niagara Falls State Park
- Alaska man brings back floating strip club to protest conviction on waste disposal charges
- NOAA: Hottest May-July on Record. Breathing Easier Next Week
- Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings Reports Financial Results for the Second Quarter 2018
- Piles of radioactive dirt greet visitors to Niagara Falls State Park
- It’s time for San Francisco to ban toxic disposable foodware
- Ratings and Review: Sporty and stylish, the 2017 Chrysler 300 still has the moves but its old age is showing
- 119 Of Many Ways Donald Trump Harms Animals People Birds Fishes Butterflies Bees Water : Indybay
- It's move-in day at College of Saint Rose
Cu Lao Xanh converts to plastic waste free island have 477 words, post on en.nhandan.org.vn at September 28, 2020. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.