World powers must pull together and retool their economies for a green future or humanity is “doomed”, UN chief Antonio Guterres has warned, telling AFP that failure to control the coronavirus pandemic illustrates the danger of disunity. Before the virus struck, 2020 was billed as a pivotal year for the plan to dodge the bullet of catastrophic global warming, with high profile summits planned to catch a wave of public alarm over the future of the planet. The coronavirus crisis may have shunted climate into the sidelines as nations launched unprecedented shutdowns to try to slow its spread, but Guterres said the need for climate action was more urgent than ever. In a searing assessment of the international response, Guterres said the pandemic should sharpen governments’ focus on cutting emissions, urging them to use the crisis as a springboard to launch “transformational” policies aimed at weaning societies off fossil fuels. “I think the failure that was shown in the capacity to contain the spread of the virus — by the fact that there was not enough international coordination in the way the virus was fought — that failure must make countries understand that they need to change course,” he told AFP. … Read full this story
- British ski resort visited by 2million a year buckling due to climate change
- Trump Is Prioritizing the Climate’s Destruction Over His Own Reelection
- Meeting Paris Climate Goals Would Save Thousands of American Lives During Heat Waves: Study
- Donald Trump tells Davos audience he rejects environmental 'prophets of doom' as grim-faced Greta Thunberg looks on before she tells delegates 'our house is still on fire' and 'to act as if you loved your children'
- Climate change may doom 1 in 3 species of plants and animals in the next 50 years
- UN chief concerned over J-K, welcomes India’s greater role in addressing security challenges
- Storm and drought: what Europe has to fear from climate change
- Japan helps Ben Tre to establish climate-resilient agricultural value chain
- Put down that veggie burger. These farmers say their cows can solve the climate crisis
- The Political Status Quo Is No Match for Climate Change
Cooperate on climate or 'we will be doomed': UN chief have 361 words, post on tuoitrenews.vn at September 9, 2020. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.