A grave is dug while a family waits during a funeral for a COVID-19 victim at the San Miguel Xico cemetery in Mexico. — AFP/VNA Photo MEXICO CITY — Mexico on Thursday passed the grim milestone of 50,000 coronavirus deaths, far more than the worst-case estimates of the government, which faces criticism of its handling of the crisis and the economic fallout. The country has the world’s third-highest fatality toll from the disease, behind only the United States and Brazil. The health ministry announced 819 more deaths in its daily update, taking the total to 50,517 since the Latin American nation’s first case was detected in February. The overall number of infections registered now stands at 462,690 in the nation of more than 128 million. “Unfortunately, because it is always unfortunate even if it was only one, we have 50,517 deaths from COVID-19 in Mexico,” deputy health minister Hugo Lopez-Gatell told a news conference. When it comes to deaths per 100,000 inhabitants, Mexico is in 13th place worldwide, based on official data. The death toll far exceeds the range of between 6,000 and 30,000 projected by the government of President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador in February. Those estimates soon… Read full this story
- Coronavirus deaths surpass SARS outbreak, hitting 812 across China
- Cruise Ship Passengers At Risk After First Coronavirus Death Reported In Calif.
- BREAKING: US coronavirus death toll rises to 12 as another person dies in Washington state where officials have bought a $4 million motel and set up a quarantine site made up of 'mini hotel room' trailers
- Donald Trump casually suggests the World Health Organisation’s official coronavirus death rate is a ‘false number’
- US coronavirus death toll jumps to 15 after three more people die in Washington state as the number of cases across the country increases to more than 250
- Coronavirus deaths in the UK almost double overnight to 21: Ten more patients die while the number of infected increases by one third bringing the total number to 1,140
- 69-Year-Old Man Becomes New Jersey's First Coronavirus Death
- Nolte: The Experts’ Coronavirus Death Toll Math Is Terrifying
- China reports 13 new coronavirus deaths, toll at 3,189
- Florida reports two coronavirus deaths, the first in eastern US
Mexico's coronavirus deaths surpass 50,000 have 369 words, post on vietnamnews.vn at August 7, 2020. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.