The twins are classified as a pair of very rare conjoined twins.
A pair of conjoined twins was successfully separated in Ho Chi Minh City on July 15, in an operation which involved more than 90 doctors, nurses and medical experts and lasted for 13 hours and 40 minutes, VnExpress reported.
Hoang Truc Nhi and Hoang Dieu Nhi were born prematurely on June 7 last year at Hung Vuong Hospital in the city. The two girls were joined at the pelvis. After birth, they were transferred to the Ho Chi Minh City Children Hospital to be raised and monitored.
The twins were classified as a pair of Ischiopagus Tetrapus (Quadripus) conjoined twins, which means they have a symmetrical continuous longitudinal axis with their area of union not broken anteriorly, according to doctors.
Over the past year, the twins had learned to sit up and coordinate with each other to move around despite their condition. Their parents, doctors and therapists all took great care of them daily, attending to their every need, from feeding them to changing diapers.
Two weeks before the surgery, the pair was administered antibiotics to prevent possible infections. The twins were deemed ready for the surgery after reaching 13 months, weighing 15 kilograms and having health statistics close enough to that of normal children.
Truc Nhi and Dieu Nhi shared parts of their ileums and colons, and a single anus. They also had two separate bladders on two sides of their belly. Two ureters led to the two bladders. Their pelvis was arranged similar to a circle.
|Hoang Dieu Nhi and Hoang Truc Nhi before their separation surgery at the Ho Chi Minh City Children Hospital. Photo: VnExpress|
|The twins' mother accompanied them all the way to the operating theater before parting ways and waiting outside with the father. Photo: VnExpress|
|The surgery started at 6:30am on July 15 at HCMC Children Hospital, and was expected to last for around 12 hours. Around 93 doctors, nurses and medical experts from several HCMC hospitals, including Tran Dong A, 79, a doctor renowned for successfully separating a pair of conjoined twins back in 1988, were on hand. Photo: VnExpress|
|The surgery went as planned. The surgeons managed to separate the two girls at around 2:10pm. Photo: VnExpress|
|Truc Nhi was then taken to another surgery room, while Dieu Nhi stayed on. The two will undergo reconstructive surgery to restore their appearance and some body parts. Photo: VnExpress|
|The surgery ended successfully at around 6:45 pm. The two girls were then transferred to a care unit in HCMC Children Hospital to be under observation. Photo: VnExpress|
|Doctors and nurses at the HCMC Children Hospital celebrate the successful separation of the two girls on July 15. Photo: VnExpress|
- Boy born at 27 weeks weighing the same as a loaf of BREAD defies slim odds to survive the rare condition that killed his identical twin brother in the womb
- Eden Hazard penalty separates the teams as Chelsea win FA Cup final: live reaction
- Jack Morris joins Dave Winfield, Paul Molitor for St. Paul wing at hall of fame
- Jack Morris joins Dave Winfield, Paul Molitor in St. Paul wing at Hall of Fame
- Nobel-winning immunotherapy sees limited use in Vietnam
- All the Incredible New Comic Series to Cozy Up With This Fall
- Book Review: Colin Chapman: Inside The Innovator
- Like an SUV, but better: our VW Passat Estate long-termer departs
- Aston Martin DB9 (2014) long-term test review
- 2014 Bentley Flying Spur
- Dissected: 2014 Bentley Flying Spur
- Live PD: Dan Cesareo on making TV’s hottest reality show
Vietnamese doctors successfully separate rare conjoined twins have 568 words, post on hanoitimes.vn at July 16, 2020. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.