WASHINGTON —US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo voiced hope Wednesday of holding high-level talks soon with North Korea and did not rule out a summit, a break with recent pessimistic signs from both countries. Pompeo, without elaborating, said there was “more discussion than is publicly noticed” with North Korea. “I’m hopeful that we’ll be able to have a senior discussion before too long and hopefully advance the ball,” Pompeo said at the Economic Club of New York. He refused to rule out completely that President Donald Trump, who has held three meetings with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, would see him again before US elections on November 3. “I think that’s unlikely,” he said. “But in the event that it was appropriate – we thought we could make material progress and the best way to do that was to put President Trump with Chairman Kim to do it – I’m confident that the North Koreans and President Trump would find that in our best interest.” Trump was the first sitting US president to meet Kim, and the two agreed in broad terms at their first summit in Singapore in 2018 that North Korea would give up its nuclear program…. Read full this story
- US Not to Accept Any Preconditions for Talks With North Korea - Tillerson
- South Korean leader calls for closer ties with North Korea
- The man who could launch WWIII: Commander in chief of North Korea's nuclear force warns of mid-August strike on Guam and ominously tells troops 'wait for my order'
- North Korea's Kim, in first appearance in weeks, vows to bolster nuclear 'deterrence'
- North Korea admits that Kim Jong Un CAN'T bend space and time after decades of myth making
- Trump forecasted his own summit with 'wacko' North Korea on TV in 1999 and warned the communist regime was 'not a bunch of dummies' – but said he would 'negotiate like crazy' before striking them
- China hopes U.S., North Korea can resume meaningful dialogue
- New book reminds us: Trump got played — bigly — by North Korea
- America's New Problem? Russia Wants to Solve the North Korea Crisis
- North Korea Could Come to Negotiating Table, Unlikely to Give Up Nukes – Analyst
Pompeo hopeful for 'senior' talks soon with North Korea have 374 words, post on vietnamnews.vn at July 16, 2020. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.