Black Chicagoans account for 70% of coronavirus deaths, despite making up 30% of the population. Stark statistics from Chicago health officials have underscored the heavy toll of coronavirus on black Americans. Black Chicagoans account for half of all coronavirus cases in the city and more than 70% of deaths, despite making up 30% of the population. Other cities with large black populations, including Detroit, Milwaukee, New Orleans and New York, have become coronavirus hotspots. The US has recorded nearly 370,000 virus cases and almost 11,000 deaths. Globally there have been nearly 75,000 deaths and more than 1.3m cases total. What do Chicago’s statistics show? As of 5 April, 1,824 out of Chicago’s 4,680 confirmed Covid-19 cases were black residents, said city officials on Monday. That compared with 847 white, 478 Hispanic and 126 Asian Chicagoans. Chicago has seen a total of 98 deaths as of Sunday, with 72% of them black residents. The disparity is reflected across the state, where black people account for 41% of Covid-19 deaths, despite making up 14% of the population of Illinois. Chicago public health commissioner Dr Allison Arwady told reporters that black city residents already lived on average about 8.8 years less than their white… Read full this story
- Ossett teenager 'wreaked havoc' on Scarborough businesses
- 'Millions' of locusts wreak havoc in Sardinia
- Teenagers wreak havoc at Asda
- Monster thunderstorms and flooding set to wreak havoc
- East coast of US shelters as Dorian continues to wreak havoc
- Ghana draws African-American tourists with 'Year of Return'
- Plaque remembers African-American soldiers
- Biden loses support from African-Americans
- Cruise companies pledge aid after Dorian wreaks havoc on Bahamas
- Hailstones the size of onions wreak havoc in France
Coronavirus wreaks havoc in African American neighbourhoods have 274 words, post on vietnamnet.vn at July 4, 2020. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.