Former Vice President Joe Biden formally clinched the Democratic presidential nomination on Friday, media reported, setting the stage for a challenge to President Donald Trump in the November election.
The Associated Press and CBS News both projected that Biden passed the 1,991 delegates he needs to be chosen as nominee at the party’s national convention, with contests still to come in eight states and three U.S. territories.
Biden won the delegates after seven states and the District of Columbia held presidential primaries on Tuesday.
"It was an honor to compete alongside one of the most talented groups of candidates the Democratic party has ever fielded — and I am proud to say that we are going into this general election a united party," Biden said in a statement.
"I am going to spend every day between now and November 3rd fighting to earn the votes of Americans all across this great country so that, together, we can win the battle for the soul of this nation, and make sure that as we rebuild our economy, everyone comes along," he said.
- Biden formally commits US to 125,000 refugees in coming fiscal year
- President Biden Should Withdraw Chipman Nomination
- Biden and the Democrats Need to Make Hard Spending Choices
- Biden: 'Real possibility' Democrats might change Senate rules for debt hike
- Biden Visits House Democrats to Sooth Tensions as Legislation Stalls
- "Everybody is frustrated," Biden says amid Democratic in-fighting over his agenda
- Biden Built Back Better Relations With the Left—Now He Faces the Ultimate Test
- How Warren and Bloomberg could spoil Sanders' and Biden's margins on Super Tuesday
- Trump says Buttigieg and Klobuchar "should be impeached" for making "quid pro quo" with Biden: "They made a deal"
- The Memo: Biden faces crunch time amid Democratic divisions
- The Democratic Civil War Has a Winner: Donald Trump
- Liberal Democrats less willing to compromise with dwindling moderates
Biden formally clinches U.S. Democratic nomination - reports have 306 words, post on tuoitrenews.vn at June 6, 2020. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.