Bangkok (VNA) – Thailand is expecting the signing of the Regional Comprehensive Economic Partnership (RCEP) to go forward this year as the COVID-19 is presenting no hurdles for the trade deal, the negotiations of which can be sped up through video conferencing.
Local media quoted Ronnarong Phoolpipat, Commerce Ministry Chief Inspector-General and chief negotiator of RCEP for Thailand, as saying the pandemic is expected to hamper already-delayed RCEP negotiations because scheduled meetings were cancelled to follow travel ban lockdown measures in member state countries.
However, recent trade negotiations and meetings via video conference were surprisingly efficient and helpful, he said.
Trade negotiators have completed many negotiation issues during the past two months, the official said, adding that it is faster and saves time and costs.
The pandemic brings a new normal situation to trade negotiations, he noted.
He said RCEP dialogue partners are reviewing legal texts and expect the process to finish in July so the pact can be signed later in the year during the ASEAN Summit.
The RCEP is a proposed free trade agreement between the 10 ASEAN member states and six dialogue partners – China, Japan, the Republic of Korea, India, Australia, and New Zealand. India withdrew from the deal last year./.
- Will resolve outstanding issues raised by India for not joining RCEP:China
- RCEP decision not last minute: Piyush Goyal
- Japan, Australia still hopeful of India’s rethink on RCEP
- RCEP trade deal a no-go, PM Modi says conscience doesn’t allow
- Santa Claus IS coming to town! From a 15ft trampoline to Disney goodies, FEMAIL reveals the presents that will make Christmas magical for kids (with prices starting at just £10)
- New rules on IP rights and e-commerce to be set under RCEP free trade agreement
- RCEP did not adequately address India's concerns, will review ASEAN FTA: Piyush Goyal
- 'Deflategate' Judge Urges NFL to Negotiate Deal With Patriots Tom Brady
- What is Holly Willoughby's net worth? Dancing on Ice presenter worth huge sum
- Film News Roundup: Leonardo DiCaprio Presenting Robert De Niro SAG Life Achievement Award
- Letters: Landmark, historic designation process is important; Moral dilemma a side effect of suffering; Short-term rental controversy burns (9/15/19)
- From an organist so dire the vicar prayed for her to stop to the Human Blockhead who drove nails into their head: For 50 years, historian JOHN JULIUS NORWICH compiled the year's funniest stories - and a hilarious new book presents the best
Thailand: COVID-19 presents no hurdle for RCEP negotiations have 401 words, post on en.vietnamplus.vn at May 25, 2020. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.