The International Monetary Fund said that the global economic outlook has worsened since its latest forecast three weeks ago and the world can expect more waves of financial market turbulence.
Developing nations’ external financing needs probably will be far above the $2.5 trillion that the IMF has previously projected, chief economist Gita Gopinath said in a webcast Thursday hosted by the Council on Foreign Relations.
The IMF said in the World Economic Outlook report on April 14 that global gross domestic product will decline 3% this year. That baseline scenario assumed that the pandemic fades in the second half of this year and that containment measures can be gradually wound down, a scenario that looks less likely now, Gopinath said.
“We know this crisis isn’t going away anytime soon,” Gopinath said.
The IMF’s April outlook also sketched out three alternative scenarios in which the virus lasted longer than expected, returned in 2021 or both. A lengthier pandemic would wipe 3% off GDP this year compared to the baseline, while protraction plus a resumption next year would mean 8% less output than projected in 2021, the Fund said.
- IMF downgrades world economic outlook; 2019 estimate for Canada unchanged
- IMF says trade war will cut global growth to lowest since financial crisis a decade ago
- IMF says Central Bank’s reserves to increase
- Nations must unite to halt global economic slowdown, says new IMF head
- IMF warns there is 'limited ammunition' to fight recession
- IMF Cuts Global Growth Outlook to Decade-Low 3% on Trade Fears
- IMF: Despite slowdown, India retains fastest growing tag alongside China
- U.S.-China tariffs drag global growth to lowest in a decade: IMF
- IMF revises India's growth projection to 6.1 % in 2019
- IMF sees weaker global economic recovery. US growth pegged at 2.1% in 2020
- IMF cuts 2019 global growth estimate to 3%, lowest since crisis
- IMF warns world growth slowest since financial crisis
IMF says economic outlook worsened since forecast in mid April have 307 words, post on m.hindustantimes.com at May 8, 2020. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.