TOKYO (Reuters) – Investors with nearly $200 billion in assets holding shares in Japan’s Mizuho Financial Group (8411.T) say they plan to back a shareholder motion urging the bank to cut its lending for coal and other fossil fuels, they told Reuters on Friday. FILE PHOTO: Mizuho Financial Group logo is seen at the company’s headquarters in Tokyo, Japan August 20, 2018. REUTERS/Toru Hanai In an unusual showing of hands weeks before Mizuho’s annual general meeting in June, Norway’s largest pension fund and life insurance company, Kommunal Landspensjonskasse (KLP), Storebrand ASA (STB.OL) and Denmark’s MP Pension said they would support Japan’s first climate change resolution. It marks the first time a Japanese publicly traded company has faced a shareholder climate change resolution. While they represent only a fraction of shareholding rights their support for the resolution brought by Kiko Network, an activist group and shareholder in the bank, the investors’ support adds to the pressure on the bank, which has already tightened its lending policies but critics say more is needed. “As we await new strict coal and fossil fuel policies from Mizuho, we will without a doubt support the new climate change-based shareholder resolution … at this year’s annual general meeting,”… Read full this story
- Attitudes Towards News Media Track Along Party Lines and Support for President Donald Trump
- With depleting gas reserves, Sindh looks to tap Thar coal for urea production
- How America's clean coal dream unravelled
- Climate Crisis | How to untangle the mixed signals on coal in India?
- 'Still a lot of uncertainty': Investors react to initial US-China trade deal
- Australia only nation to join US at pro-coal event at COP24 climate talks
- Government plans online clearances to coal mining projects
- NSW RFS fears Blue Mountains bushfire could hit power station, coal mine
- China's push for more coal power imperils climate goals
- Trump ditches Obama's rules on coal-fired power stations in bid to boost mining industry - but environmentalists promise to sue
Investors line up against Mizuho support for coal have 341 words, post on www.reuters.com at April 6, 2020. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.