JOE Biden has revealed Barack Obama’s advice on picking a running mate and suggested he “needs a woman vice president.”
The former vice president discussed the helpful tip during a virtual fundraiser on Wednesday.
“And so I’m going to need a woman vice president who has the capacity, has strengths where I have weaknesses,” 77-year-old Biden told listeners, according to the New York Post.
Biden may have already picked his frontrunner for the spot, and even given her a test run.
In the first episode of his new podcast, the former senator from Delaware sat down with Governor Gretchen Whitmer of Michigan.
Governor Whitmer, 48, has a lot going for her, and could secure a win for Biden in Michigan four years after Hillary Clinton lost the state to Donald Trump.
She was already given a shot on the national stage when she was selected to deliver the Democrat’s response to the state of the union, and has recently been lauded for her handling of the coronavirus pandemic in her state.
Another candidate scoring points for her handling of the COVID-19 outbreak is Governor Gina Raimondo of Rhode Island.
Multiple campaign workers said that she is certainly a name that has been discussed these past few months, but say she has less to offer being from the smallest state in the country and one that has not voted Republican in almost 40 years.
In late-February, Biden reportedly considered Sen. Kamala Harris as his VP pick and said the former California prosecutor “fits the bill” as a potential running mate.
Other possible women VP picks include African-American politician Stacey Abrams and the two senators who the New York Times endorsed in the Democratic primary – Elizabeth Warren and Amy Klobuchar.
Biden himself also told supporters that he was considering Sally Yates foe the role as well, praising the deputy attorney general under President Obama.
During a heated CNN Democratic debate with rival Bernie Sanders in mid-march, Biden was asked about a possible vice president and said he will pick a woman to serve alongside him.
Biden also reiterated his intent to appoint the first African-American woman to the Supreme Court.
A few weeks ago, Biden told donors: “The most important thing… and I’ve actually talked to Barack about this.
“The most important thing is that there has to be someone who, the day after they’re picked, is prepared to be president of the United States of America if something happened.”
He added: “They have to be prepared.
“Once I pick someone, God willing, if I’m the nominee, that there’s not going to be any snafu.”
Self-declared “Democratic Socialist” Sanders pulled out of the 2020 Presidential race on Wednesday to clear the way for fellow Democrat Biden.
The 78-year-old Vermont senator announced he was suspending his Presidential campaign on April 8, 2020 during a conference call with staff.
His departure from the 2020 race cleared the path for Joe Biden, who has enjoyed a steady growth of supporters since a surprising blowout victory in the South Carolina primary in late February.
MOST READ IN NEWS
Parents shot ‘execution-style’ after kicking out daughter & lover over virus
‘Nearly-complete skeleton’ discovered on golf course identified as missing woman
‘Baby died in sweltering car then stoner dad drove off not realizing she was dead’
Teen, 18, ‘slashed friend’s throat then raped her before inventing suspect’
‘CHINA’ INVADES WHITE HOUSE
Trump grills reporter & asks ‘do you work for China?’
Kidnapped woman found murdered after ‘gang snatched her on way to meet pals’
On Monday, President Trump trolled Biden for suggesting a virtual Democratic National Convention conference during the coronavirus pandemic.
Biden’s call for the virtual meeting came shortly after he called for the DNC conference to be pushed back from its original set dates in July due to the COVID-19 outbreak.
Do you have a story for The US Sun team?
- 'No more years!' Joe Biden would NOT run for reelection if he wins the White House—putting future of the Democratic Party in the hands of his running mate
- Gaffe: Joe Biden Claims He was Vice President in 1976
- Biden Rips Obama, Says He ‘Lacked Background In Foreign Policy’
- Journo Cites Once-Classified Memos That Bust Former Vice President Joe Biden’s 2016 Ukraine Story
- Biden Campaign Pushes Back On Report That He Won’t Run For Re-Election In 2024
- Joe Biden Aides Hint That He May Serve Just a Single Term as President - Report
- Did Kamala Harris's Staff Damage Her Vice-Presidential Chances?
- Joe Biden Says He Regrets Not Being President, Fueling 2020 Speculation
- Nolte: Report Says Old Joe Biden Would Only Serve One Presidential Term
- Biden Asked President Obama Not To Endorse Him
- Ukraine's top prosecutor REOPENS corruption case targeting energy company Hunter Biden helped run – just hours after Donald Trump says country 'should investigate' his political rivals
- Union Buster: Joe Biden’s First 2020 Fundraiser Co-Hosted by Top Anti-Worker Lawyer
Biden reveals Obama’s advice on picking a running mate and says he ‘needs a woman vice president’ have 838 words, post on www.thesun.co.uk at April 9, 2020. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.