The visit signals Washington’s intends to remain the pre-eminent naval power in the South China Sea.
The USS Theodore Roosevelt (CVN-71) on Thursday morning pulled into Vietnam's central coastal city of Danang to start a five-day port visit, Vietnamese media reported.
|The USS Theodore Roosevelt (CVN-71) in Da Nang’s Son Tra peninsula on March 5. Photo: VnExpress|
The visit marks the second time a US Navy aircraft carrier has visited the Southeast Asian country since the end of the Vietnam War, following the first in early 2018 by USS Carl Vinson (CVN-70) to the same port city destination.
Carlyle Thayer, head of Thayer Consultancy, an Australia-based defense consulting firm, said that Theodore Roosevelt's visit doesn't necessarily mean a shift in Vietnam's position but it does send an important message.
Roughly 200 miles away from Danang is China's Hainan island and Vietnam's Hoang Sa (Paracel) Islands in the South China Sea. Both China and Vietnam claim the Paracel Islands, but China currently controls them after the invasion in 1974.
The US Navy recently increased the frequency of freedom of navigation operations in the region, including passes by the Paracel Islands.
Chinese officials are dismissive of the role which the US plays in maintaining peace and security in the region. Chinese defense ministry officials routinely criticize US military operations in the South China Sea.
- Tennessee sailor killed in Vietnam War identified after 50 years
- Vietnam Veterans Day
- South China Sea outrage: Vietnam launches stunning attack on Beijing as tensions deepen
- North Korea Builds Ties With Country It Helped to Defeat U.S., Now Vietnam May Bring Them All Together
- Photos: Wreck of World War II carrier Hornet discovered
- Vietnam's Foreign Minister in N Korea ahead of landmark summit
- Pres. Trump, Kim in Hanoi for second round of nuclear talks
- Trump-Kim summit: How the U.S. relationship with Vietnam has changed
- Wisconsin veterans travel back to Vietnam on Honor Flight
- Donald Trump will meet with North Korea's Kim Jong Un in Vietnam
- Mount Prospect pays tribute to Vietnam veterans with village hall ceremony
- Patrick Leahy: War legacies and the expanding U.S.-Vietnam partnership
Second US aircraft carrier visits Danang after Vietnam War have 349 words, post on hanoitimes.vn at March 5, 2020. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.