NIllustrative image (Source: pattayamail.com) Bangkok (VNA) – Thailand is seeking measures to reclaim the number one global rice exporter spot from India after losing this position for three years. The country’s Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives has met with Rice Department, the Department of Foreign Trade, the Rice Exporters Association of Thailand (TREA) and rice sellers on this issue. Speaking after the meeting, Deputy Minister of Agriculture and Cooperatives Praphat Phothasoothon said the agencies and companies have agreed to solve some cumulative issues in rice exports, as Thailand currently does not produce new rice varieties which are currently in demand in the global market. The country’s rice exports have seen stronger competition from Vietnam and Cambodia, with Myanmar expected to be even more competitive in the future. This situation has lowered the usual 10 million annual tonnes of rice exports from Thailand to only 7.5 million last year. At this meeting, related departments have been assigned to formulate a drought response and rice farm zoning plan which will be completed in two weeks and implemented in the next farming season starting around May. The Rice Department has been assigned to speed up research into new rice varieties, in addition to… Read full this story
- The Next Major Marijuana Exporter Will Be in the Middle East
- Indonesia Elections: 192 Million Head to Vote In World’s Biggest One-Day Polling
- Megalodon: World's Biggest Shark—Which Grew up to 50ft—Was Wiped Out by the Great White, Study Says
- Trump's Trade War Expected to Harm U.S. Farm Exports by $1.9 Billion in 2019
- EU-Japan trade: Five things about the world's biggest deal
- Ex-princess bows to king's command, says she won't run for prime minister in Thailand
- Cleveland Police Union Appeals Firing Of Cop Who Killed Tamir Rice
- A comedian plays Ukraine’s president on TV. Now he’s taken the top spot in the real election.
- Thailand elections: Voters head to poll stations after 5 years of military rule
- Photos: Rangers free 6 trapped baby elephants in Thailand
Thailand moves to reclaim world biggest rice exporter spot have 344 words, post on en.vietnamplus.vn at February 16, 2020. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.