Vietnamese Defense Minister General Ngo Xuan Lich chaired the meeting which was also attended by the Secretary General of ASEAN Lim Jock Hoi. Addressing the event, General Lich emphasized that this was the first time the two sides have held a meeting to exchange their viewpoints on regional security and to strengthen their defense cooperation. He conveyed his deep condolences to families of victims of forest fires in Australia and highly valued Australian government’s and military’s wildfire recovery efforts, which has helped local people cope with the disaster and resume their normal lives. Vietnamese Defense Minister Ngo Xuan Lich Vietnamese Defense Minister also reviewed the ASEAN-Australia relationship. Accordingly, the two sides established their relations in 1974 and upgraded it to a strategic partnership in 2014. Australia is now an important partner of ASEAN in different fields and has made significant contributions to ASEAN-led cooperative mechanisms in the region. ASEAN attaches importance to expanding its ties with Australia, which was specified by an action plan to realize the ASEAN-Australia Strategic Partnership, General Lich stressed. Regarding the defense cooperation in the framework of ASEAN, the meeting’s chair thanked Australia for its contributions in the past, especially via groups of experts within the… Read full this story
- Vietnam attaches importance to bilateral defense ties with New Zealand
- Vietnam prepares for ASEAN Chairmanship
- India signs FTA in services, investments with Asean
- Australia could fall apart under climate change. But there is a way to avoid it
- Melbourne's Port Phillip council to hold Australia Day 'morning of mourning'
- Australia offers to fund life in prison for Bali pair
- Australia cricket scandal: A body blow to an incredulous nation
- China to resume Canada meat imports, but ties still frosty
- 34th ASEAN Summit opens in Bangkok
- ASEAN, Japan are close, important partners of each other: official
Australia attaches importance to its ties with ASEAN have 312 words, post on en.qdnd.vn at February 21, 2020. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.