|The Vietnamese national men’s football team (in red jersey) face Iraq (in green jersey) in the quarter-finals of the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) U23 Championship 2018. (Photo: AFC)|
Le Hoai Anh, the Vietnam Football Federation (VFF)’s General Secretary, confirmed that the football federations of both countries had agreed to play the fixture on March 26, with a venue set to be confirmed in the near future.
The VFF are currently considering whether to award the fixture to one of the My Dinh Stadium in Hanoi, the Thong Nhat Stadium in Ho Chi Minh City, or the Go Dau Stadium in Binh Duong.
Several members of the current Vietnamese team have previous experience playing against Iraqi with Quang Hai, Dinh Trong, and Cong Phuong all competing in the quarter-finals of the Asian Football Confederation (AFC) U23 Championship 2018 against Iraq. The fixture finished in a thrilling 3-3 draw over 120 minutes with Vietnam eventually emerging victorious 5-3 in the penalty shootout.
The upcoming friendly tie against Iraq offers an opportunity for head coach Park Hang-seo to prepare the team their crucial game against Malaysia on March 31 in the Asian zone’s second qualifying round for the 2022 World Cup.
At present, Vietnam are leading Group G with 11 points with five matches played. Trailing them are Malaysia in second with nine points, followed by Thailand on eight points, the United Arab Emirates (UAE) on six points, and Indonesia on zero points.
Following the match against Malaysia the national team will take on Indonesia at the My Dinh Stadium in Hanoi on June 4, before travelling away to play the UAE five days later.
- Not Afghanistan: Why the US and Iraq won't leave one another
- VIETNAM NEWS HEADLINES JULY 31
- VIETNAM BUSINESS NEWS JULY 27
- Vietnam aim to grab second World Cup slot in Futsal
- VIETNAM NEWS HEADLINES JULY 30 (Updated hourly)
- VIETNAM BUSINESS NEWS AUGUST 6
- VIETNAM BUSINESS NEWS JULY 21
- VIETNAM BUSINESS NEWS JULY 19
- Iraq doesn't need United States' combat troops: PM Mustafa al-Kadhimi
- U.S. appears poised for withdrawal from Iraq as prime minister says 'no need' for troops
- VIETNAM BUSINESS NEWS AUGUST 4
- VIETNAM NEWS HEADLINES JULY 25
Vietnam schedule March friendly against Iraq have 344 words, post on english.vov.vn at January 31, 2020. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.