The move would allow MB Bank to transfer 21.43 million in treasury shares to foreign investors.
Hanoi-based Military Bank (MB Bank) on January 22 informed the approval of the Vietnam Securities Depository (VSD) to adjust the lender’s foreign ownership limit from 20% to 20.9%, said the bank in a statement.
The move would allow MB Bank to transfer 21.43 million in treasury shares to foreign investors under the former’s request and permission from the State Securities Commission (SSC), the country’s stock market watchdog.
According to the bank, the easing of foreign ownership limit will be effective from January 22, 2020.
Last December, MB Bank announced the plan to sell a maximum of 23 million in treasury shares via order-matching or put-though.
The amount of shares subject to the sale was equivalent to 49% of total treasury stocks owned by the bank.
MB Bank said it aims to use proceeds from the sale to build offices and branches, invest in technologies and necessary equipment for stable operation and development.
The government currently owns 44% of Military Commercial Bank through several military-linked companies, according to FactSet, a data provider. Domestic and foreign financial institutions own 11%, while the rest is held by individual investors and entities such as mutual funds.
The completion of the sale of Vietcombank stake to foreign buyers in early 2019 and of BIDV at the end of last year may bode well for a comeback of foreign banks to Vietnam in 2020.
- InvestSA and the Word Bank hosting Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) Strategy Consultation and Capacity Building Workshop
- ConnectOne Bank Expands New York City Presence with Astoria Location
- Dollar Bank expands to Medina County with new Brunswick office
- F&M Bank expands footprint with Dickson County purchase
- Investors Bank expands Equipment Finance leadership team
- Pompeo invites North Korean Foreign Minister for talks in N.Y. next week
- California BanCorp Reports Record Quarterly Earnings of $2.5 Million, Up 20% from 3Q17, and a Strong 14% Core Deposit Growth
- Signs of thaw as India accepts Imran's proposal for foreign ministers' meeting
- 13 Farmington Bank, 2 People’s United Bank Locations to Close
- World Economic Forum Helps Vietnam Bill Itself as a Business Alternative to China