If you want to receive twice-daily briefings like this by email, sign up to the Front Page newsletter here. For two-minute audio updates, try The Briefing - on podcasts, smart speakers and WhatsApp. Fears for British troops after Iran chief’s assassination British troops in Iraq are at greater risk after the US airstrike that killed Iran’s military chief, a former Foreign Office minister has warned, as the US embassy in Baghdad urges Americans to leave Iraq. Former Middle East minister Alistair Burt said the drone attack which killed General Qassim Soleimani was “extremely serious”. Donald Trump has defended his decision to assassinate Soleimani, who he said was responsible for “thousands” of American deaths and “plotting to kill many more”. By the time of his tweet, it had already emerged US lawmakers were not told in advance of the attack. The killing has prompted the leader of Iran-backed militia Hizbollah in Lebanon to issue a call to “resistance fighters” around the world to punish those responsible. Scroll down this article for a video showing mourners chanting “death to America” after the attack. As Charles Lister explains here, the killing of Qassim Soleimani is one of the biggest developments in the Middle East for decades – far eclipsing the deaths of Bin Laden or Baghdadi… Read full this story
- Alexa now offers long-form news briefings in the US
- UK on course for December general election as Corbyn backs poll
- Air Travel Unions Warn They 'Cannot Even Calculate the Level of Risk' From Trump's Shutdown
- Google Assistant news briefings are getting smarter thanks to AI – rolling out in the US first
- Snow Could Impact Friday Evening Commute In Illinois
- Republican Complains to Fox News That Our Troops Don't Even Get to Murder Properly
- Facebook must be held liable for fake news, say UK politicians
- New Evidence Shows Even Mild Concussions Can Raise Risk for Dementia
- Update on Gustav For Friday Evening
- Donald Trump 'cancelled Iran strikes with planes in the air'
Friday evening news briefing: UK troops 'at risk' after assassination of Iran's General Qassim Soleimani have 340 words, post on www.telegraph.co.uk at January 3, 2020. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.