One diver drowned and two others are missing at the site of a shipwreck salvage project in Ho Chi Minh City’s outlying Can Gio District.
A group of divers were salvaging shipping containers from the sunken Vietsun Integrity cargo ship in Can Gio’s Long Tau River on Wednesday morning, according to the Maritime Administration of Ho Chi Minh City.
The Vietsun Integrity was carrying 17 crew members and 285 containers from Ho Chi Minh City to the northern city of Hai Phong when it sank on October 19.
|Authorities search for the victims on December 11, 2019. Photo: Minh Hoa / Tuoi Tre|
At around 9:00 am on Wednesday, two of the divers began showing signs of asphyxiation and had to be rescued by three other team members.
Both victims had become unconscious by the time they were brought back aboard their boat.
During the rescue, however, the three rescuers were hit by a shipping container and went missing.
|The body of Cao Van Ly was brought ashore on December 11, 2019. Photo: Minh Hoa / Tuoi Tre|
Rescue units under the city’s firefighting police department were mobilized to search for the three divers but were only able to recover the body of Cao Van Ly, 44.
The search and rescue effort was halted on Wednesday evening once the sun went down and began again on Thursday morning.
But Le Duc Hoa, 33, and Doan Van Hieu, 36, are still nowhere to be found.
Authorities have also launched an investigation into the incident.
- Worker killed at Kensington construction site after ‘falling from scaffolding’
- Diver killed in Costa Rica shark attack was a top Wall Street executive
- Aberdeen light festival has killed grass at historic site, claims councillor
- Sherlock Holmes museum site is ‘on track’, city council says
- Premier League table: Arsenal miss out on Champions League as Manchester City and Liverpool both win
- Police issue appeal for missing Ardrossan woman last seen in Glasgow City Centre on Hogmanay
- Police concern for welfare of mum and two sons missing since Monday after disappearing near Nottingham city centre
- LAST NIGHT'S REVIEW: Miss Saigon, Mayflower Theatre
- Anger as site of former Norwich pub remains a wasteland 10 years after being bulldozed
- Bristol City stun Manchester United in Carabao Cup