|Liem enjoys win in blitz event during Romania Grand Tour|
During the blitz event, Liem earned a total of 11 points from 18 matches in order to finish ranked in first place. This total was enough to finish higher than several talented chess players, including Karjakin and Wesley So.
As a result of his success in the category, Liem finished the tournament ranked in fourth place overall with 19 points, winning a total of US$15,000 in prize money in the process.
The Vietnamese player finished just behind Levon Aronian and Sergey Karjakin, who were tied on 20 points, and Viswanathan Anand on 19.5 points.
Thanks to a strong showing throughout the tournament, Liem added an additional 88 Elo points to his total, whilst also climbing to 15th place in the world rankings. With an Elo rating of 2768, Liem is now listed among the world’s super-grandmasters.
Next up for Liem is his participation at the SEA Games 30 in the Philippines.
Aronian was named as the winner of the Romania Grand Tour after defeating Karjakin in a tie-break. Both players won a total of US$31,250 in prize money after finishing the tournament on the same number of points.
Third place went to Anand who won a cash prize of US$20,000.
- 'It should be about the prestige of winning an event'
- Ten riders who could win stage six of the Tour de France
- Chris Froome in line to win Grand Tour while in intensive care
- Blitz event 'very, very successful'
- Flashbulb! The Gentleman's Journal Grand Tour: Road to Cannes
- Dutchman Teunissen wins dramatic first round of Tour de France
- Five riders who can win stage 10 of the Tour de France
- Five contenders to win stage five of the Tour de France
- Five riders who can win stage seven of the Tour de France
- Five contenders who could win stage eight of the Tour de France