Roger Federer says he feels in good shape despite a tough draw at the Shanghai Masters.
Federer will begin his campaign on Tuesday or Wednesday against either Marin Cilic or Albert Ramos-Vinolas and has David Goffin, Alexander Zverev and Dominic Thiem all in his section of the draw.
Federer hasn’t won a title since June at Halle but the 20-time Grand Slam champion believes he has the energy to have a good week in China.
“The draw is tough here,” Federer said. “It also depends on your opponents a little bit.
“It’s not just every match on my racquet, unfortunately, but I feel like I have good energy left in the tank to go and finish strong.”
Federer has a huge fan base in China and a record crowd of 17,000 people turned up to watch him play Cilic on Saturday along with Chinese players Wu Di and Hua Run Hao.
And the 38-year-old says the support he receives in the Far East is like nothing else.
”The fans get together [and] really make a conscious effort to show me how excited and happy they are,” Federer said.
“I felt that yesterday at Fan Day. It means a lot to me. You don’t get fans grouping together like this anywhere else in the world.
“When somebody asks you a question, you try to answer. When somebody asks you for a picture, you try to take it.
“It means so much to any fan because it’s maybe the first time they’ve seen you or maybe they have travelled far just to get a chance to be near you or ask you a question.
”Sometimes you’re more tired than other days. For the most part, I try to lead by example for the new generation of players who I hope are going to be great for the game.
“I’m aware that I have the chance and the power to motivate, inspire younger children and set a good example.
“That’s something I have always appreciated and thought was very nice.”
ROGER FEDERER – PROJECTED SHANGHAI MASTERS DRAW
First Round: Bye
Second Round: Marin Cilic or Albert Ramos-Vinolas
Third Round: David Goffin
Quarter-Final: Alexander Zverev/Borna Coric
Semi-Final: Dominic Thiem/Roberto Bautista Agut
Final: Novak Djokovic or Daniil Medvedev
- Britain's Harriet Dart sets up dream Wimbledon clash with Ashleigh Barty
- Coronavirus live updates: Federal loans to help California pay unemployment benefits
- Coronavirus live updates: Federal government says $300 billion in stimulus relief coming this week
- Andy Murray excited to play mixed doubles with Serena Williams at Wimbledon
- French Open's new dates in late September risk boycott by Rafael Nadal
- Stanislas Wawrinka beats Rafael Nadal in the Australian Open final – as it happened
- Coronavirus live updates: California DMV waives late fees, extends deadlines
- Coronavirus live updates: 50,000 dead in U.S.
- Coronavirus live updates: WHO warns against ‘immunity passports’
- Coronavirus news from the Bay Area: April 23-24
- Coronavirus and Sport: What happened in March 2020?
- Coronavirus live updates: Spike in New Yorkers ingesting disinfectant
Roger Federer admits Shanghai Masters draw is ‘tough’ ahead of potential Marin Cilic clash have 495 words, post on feedproxy.google.com at October 6, 2019. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.