The historic event took place in the citadel’s Doan Mon Courtyard. At 8 a.m. that day, the People’s Army of Vietnam headed into the capital city from five of its gates, ending the nine-year occupation by France. Seven hours later, a long siren sounded from Hanoi Opera House, calling the entire city to the Flag Tower. The above picture shows the motorcade taking major-general Vuong Thua Vu, commander of the 308th Infantry Division – the first main division of the People’s Army of Vietnam, to the flag hoisting avenue. Delegates of the International Control Commission (ICC) were on hand to watch the ceremony on the afternoon of October 10,1954. According to agreements signed at the 1954 Geneva Conference, the ICC was tasked with supervising the ceasefire between the French and Vietnamese armies. The capital regiment preparing for the ceremony. Infantry and Artillery divisions in the courtyard. The flag bearing the slogan “Fight to Win.” After the end of the national anthem, Marching Song, Major-General Vuong Thua Vu read the Appeal for National Resistance from President Ho Chi Minh to the people of Hanoi. Major-General Vuong Thua Vu (R) and doctor Tran Duy Hung – the Chairman of the first Hanoi’s administrative committee… Read full this story
- Flag raising ceremony takes place at highest peak of Ly Son Island
- Fact check: Lakeith Smith was sentenced to 65 years in prison after his friend was killed by a police officer
- Digging up the dead and performing elaborate funerals drove an artistic revolution 8,000 years ago with emphasis shifting from animal art to human shapes
- Jamie Foxx defends Jimmy Fallon after resurfaced clip showed comedian in blackface 20 years ago: 'Bro you ain't got to apologize for s**t'
- Jimmy Fallon APOLOGIZES for 'unquestionably offensive' blackface skit he did 20 years ago after Twitter backlash: 'I made a terrible decision'
- Coronavirus's closest ancestor 'was found SEVEN YEARS ago in a bat-infested mine in China' where it killed three out of six miners who got sick with a SARS-like disease, investigation reveals
- Tiny four-inch tall dinosaur relative that roamed Madagascar more than 240million years ago reveals that the T-rex and other giant reptiles evolved from miniature ancestors
- Remains identified of one of 43 students who went missing more than five years ago
- Back to the Future: As Liverpool party, 30 years ago the world was a very different place
- Katharine McPhee celebrates one year of marriage to David Foster as she shares wedding day snaps: 'A year ago today I married the love of my life'
65 years ago, a flag hoisting ceremony marked Hanoi’s liberation have 427 words, post on e.vnexpress.net at October 9, 2019. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.