FOR the past fortnight, hundreds of 16-wheeler flatbed trucks have been making their way out of Amaravati, carting away tonnes of steel rods, moveable equipment and material. On the six-lane roads going in the opposite direction, neo-rich farmers zip past in their swanky cars, down stretches that once had rows of construction trucks headed in. A workforce of more than 50,000 has left gradually, leaving the workers’ colonies empty; all the eateries and hotels are shut; the concrete plants and mixers that once hummed round the clock stand silent; while site offices of the Andhra Pradesh Capital Region Development Authority (APCRDA) are deserted. During his 1995-2004 reign, N Chandrababu Naidu had transformed Hyderabad into hi-tech Cyberabad. With that city going to Telangana in the state split, Naidu as CM of the truncated Andhra had promised a new capital city that would be “world-class”. To make possible his ‘Tomorrowland’, Naidu had roped in both celebrated Baahubali director Rajamouli and famed British architects Foster and Partners, putting their designs through several changes, even as the deadline kept getting pushed. Now, the trouncing in the Assembly polls seems to have also put paid to Naidu’s Amaravati ambitions. The signs have been there since… Read full this story
- Government sets timeline for capital city relocation
- Wanted: Designs for Indonesia’s new smart, green capital city
- Jokowi says Bukit Soeharto suitable place for capital city
- Plastic ban in national parks is working – now for our cities…
- Flights begin between Singapore and Amaravati, new capital city of Andhra Pradesh
- Awarding ceremony for the contest of “Hanoi - A Green, Clean and Beautiful Capital City” in 2016
- Malaysia finally scraps $4.1b of China-backed pipelines after halting work for months
- Photos of US, UK, and French military strikes show just how close missiles got to Syria’s capital city
- Seeking new, green capital city
- Does relocating capital city make financial sense?
What’s in store for Amaravati as Jagan govt halts all work at Naidu’s dream capital city have 325 words, post on indianexpress.com at September 8, 2019. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.