The U16 team suffered a 2-1 defeat at the hands of their Australian rivals, ultimately finishing second in Group H.
Moreover, the result of the team’s previous tie against Macau was not counted as Group H consists of five teams.
As a result, the Vietnamese team finished the group with six points and a goal difference of +8.
In the final group rankings this left Vietnam fifth among the second-placed teams, behind Yemen in Group E, Indonesia in Group G, Uzbekistan in Group B, and Oman in Group D.
Thailand also finished on the same number of points with the same goal differences as Vietnam, therefore being eliminated from the tournament.
Indonesia’s U16 team were the only team from Southeast Asia to earn a place in at the AFC Championship finals, which are scheduled to take place in Bahrain from September 16 to October 3 next year.
A total of four teams who go on to achieve the best results at the AFC Championship finals, will earn a place in the FIFA U-17 World Cup in 2021.
- U16 Vietnam hoping to reach AFC championship final
- Vietnam U16s training hard for AFC Championship Finals
- Vietnam U19s to face Jordan in first match of AFC Championship finals
- Vietnam book ticket to AFC quarter finals for the first time
- Vietnam U16 squad has potential to spring a few surprises
- Vietnam readies for U19 AFC Championship
- Vietnam through to 2016 AFC U23 finals
- Vietnam target quarterfinals at AFC Futsal Finals
- U16s hoping to reach AFC championship final