Vietnamese Ambassador to Laos Nguyen Ba Hung handed over to Minister of Labour and Social Welfare Khampheng Saysompheng over 184 million kip (about US$21,000) along with US$4,855 and gifts.
The Lao minister thanked the Vietnamese Party, Government and people for always standing side by side with the Lao counterparts in difficult circumstances, and pledged to transfer the money and gifts to the flood victims to help them quickly return to normal life.
Ambassador Hung said the money was contributed by many Vietnamese companies operating in Laos, staff members at the Vietnamese embassy and Vietnamese agencies in Vientiane, and the Vietnamese community in the Lao capital city, upon receiving reports on heavy human and material losses caused by torrential rains in central and southern Laos.
He said the Vietnamese Government and people, especially those in localities along the border with Laos, have also carried out many activities to support Laos to address flood consequences.
According to the Lao ministry’s preliminary statistics, floods in southern and central Laos in early September killed 15 people and affected the daily life of over 175,000 households in 1,400 villages across six provinces.
The natural disaster also destroyed over 150,250 hectares of rice and food crops and damaged many houses, bridges, and roads.
- Overseas Vietnamese Association in northern Laos supports flood victims
- Vietnamese Embassy in Laos supports flood victims.
- Vietnamese Embassy in Laos supports flood victims at home
- Vietnamese expats in Laos support flood victims in central region
- OVs in France help flood victims
- More donations for flood victims
- Overseas Vietnamese in Laos, Mexico and China raise funds to support flood victims
- Red Cross calls for int'l assistance for Vietnamese flood victims
- Vietnam provides more aid for Lao collapsed dam victims
- Vietnamese in Laos celebrate major anniversaries