Netherlands defender Virgil van Dijk has joined five-time winners Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi as the three finalists for the FIFA best player award. United States forward Megan Rapinoe is the favorite for the women’s award.
The announcement of the final three in each category — including best coach and best goalkeeper — was made Monday at San Siro. The winners will be announced at a ceremony at Milan’s iconic Scala theater on Sept. 23.
Luka Modric, who won the award last year after leading Croatia to the World Cup final, did not make the 10-man shortlist.
Van Dijk joined Ronaldo and Messi after helping Liverpool win the Champions League title in June.
Rapinoe is competing against World Cup-winning teammate Alex Morgan and England forward Lucy Bronze.
All three of the finalists for the men’s coach award work in the Premier League: Liverpool’s Jürgen Klopp, Manchester City’s Pep Guardiola and Tottenham’s Mauricio Pochettino.
While Klopp won the Champions League with Liverpool and Guardiola steered City to a second straight Premier League title, Pochettino has never won a trophy in his managerial career — although he did lead Tottenham to the Champions League final.
United States coach Jill Ellis, who won back-to-back World Cup titles before stepping down after more than five years in charge, was nominated for the award for the best coach in women’s soccer. She is joined by England’s Phil Neville and the Netherlands’ Sarina Wiegman. The Netherlands lost to the United States in the World Cup final.
Liverpool also has a contender for the best goalkeeper award. Alisson up against City’s Ederson and Barcelona’s Marc-André ter Stegen.
Christiane Endler, Hedvig Lindahl and Sari van Veenendaal are the three finalists for the women’s goalkeeper award.
The winners will be voted on by national team coaches and captains, selected media and online fan voting.
More AP soccer: https://apnews.com/apf-Soccer and https://twitter.com/AP_Sports
Copyright 2019 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- PSG star Neymar insists he had ‘normal’ chat with old Barcelona president at Fifa Best Awards despite summer move
- Virgil van Dijk could have joined Arsenal or Crystal Palace for just £6m, it has been claimed
- Pep Guardiola was so right not to pursue Virgil van Dijk and Liverpool are crazy to pay £75m for him
- Liverpool's Van Dijk primed for derby debut in cup
- Liverpool fan corners owner John W. Henry and demands January swoop for Virgil van Dijk at Boston Red Sox baseball game
- Martin O’Neill and Séamus Coleman vote for Cristiano Ronaldo as Fifa Player of the Year
- Cristiano Ronaldo’s girlfriend Georgina Rodriguez shows off her growing baby bump at Fifa’s Best awards in London
- Cristiano Ronaldo ‘to receive Ballon d’Or award at top of Eiffel Tower on Thursday’
- Real Madrid boss Zinedine Zidane ‘to block Neymar move over fears he will upset Ronaldo, Bale and Benzema’
- Real Madrid chief Zinedine Zidane ‘to block Neymar move over fears he will upset Ronaldo, Bale and Benzema’
- Fifa the Best awards: Who did the likes of Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi vote for?
- Ronaldo beats Messi, Neymar to win 2017 Ballon d'Or
Van Dijk, Ronaldo, Messi finalists for FIFA player award have 533 words, post on www.sandiegouniontribune.com at September 2, 2019. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.