A damning new UN report published Sunday said the world is falling badly behind in the race to avert climate disaster as a result of runaway warming, with the five-year period ending 2019 set to be the hottest ever. It comes ahead of a major UN climate summit Monday that will be attended by more than 60 world leaders, as Secretary-General Antonio Guterres pushes for countries to increase their greenhouse gas reduction targets. The report “highlights the urgent need for the development of concrete actions that halt global warming and the worst effects of climate change,” said its authors, the Science Advisory Group to the summit. Average global temperature between 2015-2019 is on track to be the hottest of any five-year period on record, according to the report, which was compiled by the World Meteorological Organization. The period “is currently estimated to be 1.1 degrees Celsius above pre-industrial (1850-1900) times and 0.2 degrees Celsius warmer than 2011-2015,” it said. The past four years were already the hottest since record-keeping began in 1850. Guterres said last week the world was “losing the race” on climate change, with the latest report spelling out the extent to which the gap between what is… Read full this story
- Five Years Ending in 2019 Are Hottest On Record—So Far
- The hottest day in Paris EVER: Northern France, Belgium and Holland all swelter in record hottest weather as temperatures top 109F causing trains to grind to a halt, nuclear stations to power down and fears for Notre Dame
- Is the weather really too hot for shirts on the Underground? Tube and train passengers strip as London hits 99.9F on UK's second hottest day ever
- 'It's hotter than Mexico!': Tourists and commuters bake in 94F heat on the Tube as roads melt in the African plume heatwave - with the worst still to come with highs of nearly 100F by Thursday
- Londoners suffer in stifling 107F on busy Tube while UK roasts in heatwave... as Britain braces for hottest day EVER on Tropical Thursday
- June 2019 Climate Data for Memphis, TN
- What to See at Monterey Car Week 2019
- August 2019 Climate Data for Memphis, TN
- Seventh Annual First Snowfall Prediction Contest Starts Today!
- Hyundai and FCA up, big rivals down in another soft sales month
Five-year period ending 2019 set to be hottest on record have 385 words, post on en.rfi.fr at September 22, 2019. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.