Some businesses have been slated to move out of Hanoi for years, but are dragging their heels Photo: Dung Minh Days after Rang Dong Light Source and Vacuum Flask JSC’s factory in Thanh Xuan district burned to the ground at the initially estimated loss of VND150 billion ($6.5 million), residents in the area are still worried about toxic materials and chemicals, such as phosphorus, zinc powder, and mercury, being released into the environment to pose health hazards. The fears are exacerbated by news of nearly 60 people being hospitalised with symptoms of allergic reactions and dizziness. Last week, at the regular government press conference, Deputy Minister of Natural Resources and Environment Vo Tuan Nhan announced that 15.1-27.2 kilogrammes of mercury have been released into the air, based on research by local authorities. “Fortunately, the amalgam chemical storage cabinet of the factory, where a huge volume of mercury was stored, was not reached by the fire. Only the mercury in the flashbulbs burnt in the flames was released into the environment,” said Nhan. The test results of soil, water, and air samples by relevant agencies confirmed that the mercury content of most samples exceeded Vietnamese standards. “The fire at Rang Dong… Read full this story
- Controversial auction reignites Nazi memorabilia debate in Germany
- Bavarian boss's stirring speech reignites Merkel succession debate
- Rapid Fire: Ancient Blaze Leveled City in 3 Hours
- The 'Glasgow effect' implies cities make us sad. Can the city prove the opposite?
- NYC plans to relocate Charging Bull statue
- Slum-free cities? How the women of Ahmedabad led a housing revolution
- Is Jan Gehl winning his battle to make our cities liveable?
- 5 Winners From the Fifth Democratic Primary Debate
- The Democratic Primary Debates: Snap Judgments of All 7,000 Candidates
- What You Missed in the First 2020 Democratic Debate
Blaze reignites city relocation debate have 307 words, post on www.vir.com.vn at September 11, 2019. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.