Vietnam’s Thai Son Nam advanced to the semi-finals of the AFC Futsal Club Championship for the fourth time in a row after a 5-1 win over Shenzhen Nanling Tielang yesterday in Thailand.
|Thai Son Nam players cerebrate after their 5-1 quarter-final win at the AFC Futsal Club Championship in Thailand yesterday. Photo the-afc.com|
The Vietnamese team, who finished second in last year’s tournament, were heavy favourites over the Chinese side.
Thai Son Nam dominated early, despite having to do without key striker Vu Duc Tung due to a toe injury.
Minh Tri, Manh Dung and Doan Phat rotated to threaten Chinese team’s area however they were unable to make the breakthrough.
Sergio Rodrigo of Shenzhen nearly opened the scoring in a counter-attack but he failed to find the target, before the first half ended goalless.
Things changed in the second half, as Japanese forward Kazuya Shimizu of Thai Son Nam netted in the 22nd minute, before Tran Thai Huy the Vietnamese side’s second with a powerful finish.
Shimizu completed his double in the 35th minute, scoring into an unguarded net, his tournament-leading seventh goal.
The two other goals went to striker Nguyen Minh Tri and Ton That Phi in the 37th and 38th minutes when Shenzhen pushed up looking for a goal.
Striker Ding Shunjie finally netted a consolation in the last seconds with a shot from close range.
“My players did really good job today. They competed very well and scored many goals,” said Thai Son Nam coach Pham Minh Giang.
“I am really happy as we are in top four. However teams in this round will be really tough. We will try our best for a win,” he said.
On the other side, coach Jurandir Azeredo of Shenzhen said his players were fighting all the time but it was clear that Thai Son Nam were a better team.
Thai Son Nam will face three-time champions Nagoya Oceans of Japan in the semi-final today at the Bangkok Arena.
Nagoya earlier yesterday defeated Vamos FC of India 3-1 in their quarter-final.
- Việt Nam women concede late to draw with Thailand
- Female footie stars make SEA Games semis
- HCM City win national championship
- Việt Nam's youngsters to face Brunei in opener
- Chiến and Nguyện win first match at three Cushion Billiard World Championships
- Anuj Kumar Taliyan wins gold medal at 11th World Bodybuilding Championship, gets a rousing reception in Bengaluru
- Vietnamese authorities rescue 18 Thai crewmembers
- Meera Sodha's vegan recipe for nam jim aubergine salad with wild rice
- Thai Nguyen striving to modernise infrastructure
- Ha Noi hope to enter AFC Cup zonal final for first time