French workers on Monday (Aug 19) resumed efforts to secure the cathedral of Notre-Dame following the devastating April fire, after a three-week pause due to the risk of lead contamination. Workers clean the area in front of Notre Dame cathedral on Aug 19, 2019 in Paris. (Photo: AP/Francois Mori) France’s culture ministry told AFP that the works had resumed at 0500 GMT with around 50 people involved. Restoration of the cathedral after the fire has yet to begin, with efforts focused entirely on securing the building. The culture ministry has warned it is still at risk of collapse. Efforts to remove lead from the area around Notre-Dame got underway last week after alarm grew over the presence of the toxic metal. Hundreds of tonnes of lead in the roof and steeple melted during the Apr 15 blaze that nearly destroyed the gothic masterpiece, with winds spreading the particles well beyond the church grounds. Residents have accused the Paris authorities of underplaying the risk from the lead although the culture ministry insists safety is the top priority. But prefect Michel Cadot, the government’s top official for the Paris region, approved the resumption of the works after visiting the site. “I saw… Read full this story
- Suicide at Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris
- 3 Things You Should Know About The Attack Outside The Notre-Dame Cathedral
- Hunchback's dream: returning Paris's Notre Dame to glory
- Notre Dame attacker used hammer on police; cried 'It's for Syria'
- Car containing gas cylinders found near Paris’s Notre Dame cathedral
- Notre Dame sues over birth control mandate
- One of Notre Dame’s highest-paid employees is a football coach it fired 7 years ago
- Notre Dame student sues school, claims academic tutor pressured him to have sex with her daughter
- Oklahoma’s chances to make the College Football Playoff just surged while Notre Dame’s fell
- A Notre Dame lineman is retiring from football early to take a job in Washington DC
Notre Dame works resume in Paris after lead scare have 331 words, post on www.vir.com.vn at August 19, 2019. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.