A rice field hit by drought in Cu M’ta commune of M’Drak district, Dak Lak province (Photo: VNA) Dak Lak (VNA) – Over recent months, more than 1,000 ha of plants of crops have withered and died due to a serious drought in M’Drak district, the Central Highlands province of Dak Lak. The Ea Pal reservoir, which has a capacity of more than 410,000 cu.m and supplies water for 80 ha of rice fields in Krong Jing commune and M’Drak town, is 90 percent empty. Besides agricultural damages, residents’ daily lives are also heavily affected by the water scarcity. Phan Thi Thanh from Cu M’ta commune said that during the past three months, her family has had to buy canned water for daily use. She has spent 20,000 VND (0.86 USD) per day on water. She considered having a well drilled, but realised she could not afford it since it would cost about 40 million VND (1,700 USD), not a small number by any mean. Nguyen The Thap, head of the M’Drak district Agriculture and Rural Development Division, said most of the reservoirs in the district have dried up. More than 1,000 households in the district are in dire need of water. The division will ask for support… Read full this story
- Dak Lak hosts traditional boat racing
- Alan Jones breaks down in tears on live TV over Australia's drought crisis after furious debate with Scott Morrison where he refused to provide more aid to farmers - as loyal Liberal voters turn on the PM
- Drought funding used for music festivals, cemetery upgrades and a virtual gym
- News24.com | Gift of the Givers to deliver fodder to drought-stricken Eastern Cape farmers
- News24.com | Drought: Cape Town moving closer to maximum 'advisable' water use per day
- Farmers in Tiền Giang grow more fruit, adapt to climate change
- Australia to invest $680 million in dams for drought-stricken region
- Coming rains won't save France from drought
- Coffee could become a luxury in the UK because global warming and low prices 'are driving farmers out of work'
- Editor's Viewpoint: More needs done to help dairy farmers
Dak Lak farmers hit by serious drought have 360 words, post on en.vietnamplus.vn at August 20, 2019. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.