German Defence Minister Ursula von der Leyen, nominated to lead the European Commission, said Wednesday she would present her “vision” for the bloc’s executive body within a fortnight. “I intend to listen a lot in order to be able to develop a dialogue with the Council and the Parliament, a five-year vision for Europe within the next two weeks,” she said in her first remarks to the press since becoming the first woman to be named as head of the European Commission. Von der Leyen, a minister for the past 14 years under German Chancellor Angela Merkel, still has to be approved by the European parliament in a vote scheduled for mid-July before she can take over from outgoing commission chief Jean-Claude Juncker. The European Parliament is more fragmented than ever after the May election saw solid gains by the liberals and Greens as well as the far-right and eurosceptics. Von der Leyen wasted no time in her campaign to court MEPs, appearing in Strasbourg for talks with her centre-right EPP family on Wednesday afternoon, less than 24 hours after winning the leaders’ nod. “This is where the heart of democracy beats,” she said following brief talks with David Sassoli… Read full this story
- New E.U. leader Ursula von der Leyen unveiled her team of commissioners. Here are the big controversies.
- The awkward squad: Czech-Polish cooperation on a different EU vision
- Geplante türkische Offensive: USA ziehen in Nordsyrien Truppen von der Grenze ab
- Theresa May must not get caught in a Von Trapp at the EU summit in Salzburg to make Brexit a success
- Macron's EU vision: how has it fared 12 months on?
- Makei presents Belarus' vision on UN reforms in New York
- Merkel eyes German EU Commission chief: report
- EU may be left rudderless without effective council president
- Mogherini urges EU for responsibility on migrant mission
- POLITICO Brussels Playbook, presented by CEFIC: Italy’s populists still popular — Germany guns for Juncker’s job — Trump unraveling
Von der Leyen to present EU 'vision' within fortnight have 340 words, post on en.rfi.fr at July 3, 2019. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.