The bad results of English and History are abnormal high and cause big concern over the country`s education sector.
Many shortcomings in teaching and learning English
Compared to the previous year’s test at national high school exam , this year’s English test was easier and an average student can get mark 5 or 6. However, only students in urban areas and big cities were able to score these grades.
They could not only learn English at higher quality schools but also refine their skills at language centers. In short, they are aware of the importance of English, and invest their time and effort to study in a methodical way.
Illustrative photo. Source: Nhu Hung
For students in rural and backward areas, according to the current program of the Ministry of Education and Training, every week, 12th-grade students only have three English periods. In addition, current program and textbooks have many shortcomings and are outdated.
Besides, rural schools lack modern teaching facilities. Students are less likely to attend English classes and parents cannot afford their children's study in a methodical manner. Students' awareness of the subject and shortage of teachers in English are included among the causes of the bad results.
History not taken seriously
Up to 70% of students obtained mark 5 or under for History test at this year’s national high school exam.
This year’s History score accurately reflects the students' mindset on the subject: they did not care about getting high score but rather were interested in passing the exam with standard scores.
"If many universities use History's result to assess for admission or make History a compulsory subject, then, I am sure that the student’s will have to change their attitude towards this subject," said Nguyen Van Luc, a teacher of Trinh Phong Secondary School, Khanh Hoa province.
History is a story about the past, so teaching method is important to motivate students, Luc added.
"I sincerely hope that the Ministry of Education and Training should give us freedom in creating teaching methods to better draw students attention", Luc stressed.
Prof. Dr. Pham Hong Tung, director of Vietnam Institute of Development Science under Hanoi National University noted that the bad results of English and History are abnormal high and cause big concern over the country’s education sector. The Ministry of Education and Training should take suitable solutions for learning and teaching methods, said the professor.
- Vietnamese student bags gold at International Biology Olympiad
- IIMC revises online entrance exam results twice following technical glitches
- Vietnamese agog about US elections
- Vietnamese agog about US election
- Calls for England to follow Wales and CANCEL all A-Level and GSCE exams in 2021 with pupils getting grades from coursework and assessments instead amid on-going coronavirus class disruption
- English vocabulary books that can help everyone
- BSEB 12th Exam Date Sheet 2021: Bihar Intermediate board exam time table 2021
- Delhi University Result: All open-book results not out, students suffer
- Bình Dương Province improves educational quality, has 2nd highest pass rate on high school graduation exam
- No public reprimands for primary school students: new MOET circular
- ‘AXA Light Up Your Mind Programme’ New online learning platform to support mental wellness of primary students
- NEET UG 2020 result to be declared on October 16
Vietnamese students still bad at English and History: Exam results have 566 words, post on hanoitimes.vn at July 18, 2019. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.