Trump Defends ‘Racist’ Attack on Congresswomen After Telling them to ‘Go Back’
- published: 15 Jul 2019
- views: 16496
President Donald Trump continued his attack Monday on four female Democratic lawmakers, led by Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez of New York, after his call for them to “go back” to where they came from was met with outcries of racism by Democrats — and pushback from several Republicans. Three of the four women Trump was apparently referencing were born in the U.S.; none is white. The comments came as U.S. authorities prepared raids to round up undocumented immigrants for deportation. Republicans largely remained silent on the issue. Representative Chip Roy, a Texas Republican, said on Twitter that Trump “was wrong” to make the remark. One of Trump’s key allies in Congress, GOP Senator Lindsey Graham of South Carolina, offered his own advice to the president. “Mr. President you’re right about their policies, you’re right about where they’ll take the country. Just aim higher,” Graham said on Fox News. Senator Pat Toomey, a Pennsylvania Republican, said Trump’s statement was “wrong.” “We should defeat their ideas on the merits, not on the basis of their ancestry,” Toomey said in a statement. The tweets from Trump started Sunday and continued Monday morning and seemed aimed at first-term Representatives Ocasio-Cortez of New York, Rashida Tlaib of Michigan, Ilhan Omar of Minnesota and Ayanna Pressley of Massachusetts. “The Squad,” as the progressive quartet is known, has been engaged in an intra-party dispute with House Speaker Nancy Pelosi. Trump said the lawmakers “originally came from countries whose governments are a complete and total catastrophe” and should go back and help …
- Maine Republican Party attack Democrat candidate for playing World of Warcraft; claim she is "living a time-consuming double life"
- Democrats get ready to ram through next phase of Donald Trump impeachment inquiry in face of Republican objections as he demands his party 'stand together and defender the leader' against 'smears'
- Trump weighs in on Democratic debate melee from JAPAN while seated with German chancellor, then tells her: 'I look forward to spending time with you rather than watching the debate'
- Senate votes to block Trump’s ‘emergency’ at border; veto looms
- Trump says meeting with Democrats on government shutdown was 'total waste of time'
- Attorney General Jeff Sessions submits resignation in letter to President Donald Trump
- Trump pats Putin on the back and chats with smiling Saudi Crown Prince - the man accused of ordering the assassination of Jamal Khashoggi - who stands in the front row for 'family photo' at G20 summit
- Nationals fans boo Donald Trump AGAIN when re-election ad appears on stadium Jumbotron during Game 7 watch party – but Barack Obama's 2008 campaign manager calls spot 'very strong' and 'unprecedented' a year before Election Day
- Pro-Trump PAC Involved In Ukraine Scandal Previously Reported By Campaign Watchdog
- Report: National Enquirer parent company won't be prosecuted over efforts to protect Trump