VTN Architects, run by popular architect Vo Trong Nghia, has just won two prizes in the Commercial and Residential – Individual Houses categories at FuturArc Green Leadership 2019.
|Castaway Island Resort cover a total area of 3,000sq.m, surrounded by mountains and a pristine white sand beach. — Photos courtesy of VTN Architects|
The awards, which were first launched in 2009 by the BCI Group of Companies, aims to recognise innovative and ecologically responsible buildings in Asia.
“Castaway Island Resort” on an island in the Cat Ba Archipelago in Hai Phong, designed by Vo Trong Nghia, was the winner in the commercial category while “Stepping Park House” in HCM City was given a merit certificate for Residential – Individual Houses.
Castaway Island Resort offers 160 rooms. It takes at least two hours by boat to the island from Ben Binh Port in Hai Phong.
The resort is surrounded by mountains and a pristine white sand beach. It has five bungalows and a restaurant made of bamboo and roofed with dry leaves.
Bamboo pieces selected for the buildings measure 40-50mm in diameter and are tied together. Each piece has been soaked in mud and then smoked to make them more durable.
The restaurant is in the shape of a hyperbolic-parabolic shell, creating an open space for tourists to chat together and communicate with nature.
Stepping Park House is located in a new urban area in HCM City. The house was designed to be a part of the open space of the surrounding environment by combining green plants and furniture.
|Stepping Park House was designed to be a part of the surrounding environment by combining green plants and furniture.|
A big open space was created inside the three-storey house, utilising natural light and wind to minimise the use of traditional lighting and air conditioners.
- Hackney now has 29 of UK’s best parks after Green Flag Award success
- Michelle Keegan celebrates scooping top prize at TV Choice Awards as she takes Best Actress gong for Our Girl
- Ant and Dec win big at glitzy TV awards despite recent troubles
- Bedgrove Park wins Green Flag Award
- Five Dacorum parks win Green Flag awards
- Nobel Prize in Economic Sciences Awarded to William D. Nordhaus, Paul M. Romer
- Win prizes by walking in new workplace health challenge
- Glasgow’s Larry Dean could win top Edinburgh Fringe comedy award
- Kingsbridge Rugby Club's groundsman wins regional round of volunteer award
- Manor Gardens gets Green Flag Award