Earlier in the day, two oil tankers were hit by explosions in the Gulf of Oman near the Strait of Hormuz. The cause of the incident remains unknown but US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo immediately blamed Iran. Shortly after, CENTCOM said a US Navy destroyer was headed towards the region.
Jatras pointed out that the rush to judgment resembled previous controversial precedents set including the Gulf of Tonkin incident the United States used to start a war in Vietnam.
Jatras also questioned the timing of the attack on ships carrying oil cargoes to Japan at the very time when Prime Minister Shinzo Abe was visiting Tehran for talks.
Jatras suggested that Washington’s “B-Team” might be responsible which he defined as the governments of Israel and Saudi Arabia among other US allies and proxies.
The Iranian Mission to the United Nations in a statement on Thursday categorically denied what it called Washington’s “unfounded” claims. Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif called the timing of the latest incident “beyond suspicious” because it coincided with Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe’s visit to the Islamic Republic.
- Donald Trump blames Iran for Gulf of Oman oil tanker attacks but Tehran denies involvement
- Explainer: What we know about the oil tanker attacks in Gulf of Oman
- Saudi Arabia’s Crown Prince Mohammed Bin Salman Blames Iran For Oil Tanker Attack
- Trump says ‘no rush’ to respond to attacks on Saudi oil facilities
- US releases video it says shows Iranian military recovering mine from oil tanker in Gulf of Oman
- US DoD Releases New Images It Says Prove Iranian Forces Removed Mine From Japanese Tanker (PHOTOS)
- London Calls Iran Tension 'Extremely Concerning', Refutes Tehran Claims on Seized UK Tanker - Report
- House Intel Committee Republicans Fault Both Trump And Clinton Campaigns For "Poor Judgment"
- Argentina government backs inquiry into suspicious death of prosecutor
- 'Empire' Actor Jussie Smollett Googled Himself 50 Times After Alleged Attack Hoax
- French Navy rescues 11 Indian sailors from pirates
- US sends 1,000 more soldiers to Middle East
US Rush to Judgment on Oman Tanker Attacks 'Suspicious' have 366 words, post on sputniknews.com at June 13, 2019. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.