World number one Naomi Osaka progressed to round two of the Birmingham Classic on Tuesday (Jun 18), but was made to work for a 6-1, 4-6, 6-3 win over Greece’s Maria Sakkari.
|Naomi Osaka is through to round two of the Birmingham Classic. (Photo: AFP/Martin BUREAU)|
Osaka admitted in her pre-tournament press conference that she still does not feel comfortable on grass.
However, she got off to a flying start in her first match since losing in the third round of the French Open.
Osaka broke the Sakkari serve three times in romping through the first set.
The world number 33 fought back in the second to take the match to a deciding set.
Osaka needed to stave off five break points in the fifth game to take a 3-2 lead but then pounced immediately for the only break in the final set.
Yulia Putintseva will face Osaka in round two after easing past Harriet Dart 6-1, 6-4.
Former French Open champion Je?ena Ostapenko set up a second round clash with Britain’s Johanna Konta with a 6-0, 6-2 win over Iga Swiatek.
World number three Karolina Pliskova will face her twin sister Kristyna Pliskova in the next round after the latter beat Viktoriya Tomova 6-3, 6-4.
- Set-piece joy as Bar grind out win over dogged Barking
- Brechin City 0 Livingston 2: David Hopkin praises Livi’s battling spirit after grinding out win
- Higgins cruises to Scottish Open win over O’Sullivan
- Fans hail Neymar as PSG stroll to opening win
- Fermanagh claim opening win
- Wait over for Jason Day after Farmers Insurance Open win
- TROWBRIDGE & DISTRICT LEAGUE DIVISION TWO CUP: Opening win for Melksham B
- 10 players to watch at the Australian Open
- Federer wins 6th Australian Open for 20th Slam title
- Novak Djokovic cruises to first-round win at Australian Open