BERLIN, June 7 (Xinhua) — Nearly half of Germans would like the Green Party to nominate a candidate for the next election for chancellorship, a survey on behalf of the German press agency (dpa) by the opinion research institute YouGov showed on Friday.
Only 36 percent of Germans opposed a Green Party candidate to succeed current Chancellor Angela Merkel from the Christian Democratic Union (CDU), according to the YouGov survey.
The next German chancellor is scheduled to be elected by the German parliament after the next parliamentary elections in 2021.
Less than one third of Germans think that the Social Democratic Party (SPD), which is currently forming the German government in coalition with the conservative union of CDU and CSU, should nominate a candidate to run for chancellorship.
Following the recent European election, Germany’s Green Party achieved their best result to date in a European election with 20.5 percent of the votes, nearly doubling their votes since the last election in 2014.
Robert Habeck, leader of the German Green Party, was the most popular candidate to succeed Merkel as the next German Chancellor with 25 percent of approval in the YouGov survey.
However, Habeck currently does not seem to have the ambition to run for chancellorship. During an interview in May with the German newspaper RP, he said that the chancellorship would be “nothing that interests me at the moment”.
Only 13 percent of Germans could imagine Annegret Kramp-Karrenbauer, leader of CDU, as the next chancellor. Current Vice Chancellor Olaf Scholz (SPD) has an approval rating of 9 percent.
- Nearly Half of French Have No Trust in the Justice System
- Microsoft Fashionably Late to Virtualization Party
- WEEKEND FEATURE Campaign 2.0: Whose Web Site Is Winning?
- Data Analysis Proves Existence of Röstigraben
- I Hate Myself For Loving You – EA
- Steering Wheel Group Review
- PODCAST Ninja Assassins, E-Mail Hackers and a Digital Media Pile-On
- Advertisers Getting into the Game - Literally
- Postmortem: E-Line Media and Upper One Games'
- Kazunori's War: the world of Gran Turismo's creator
- OPINION Election 2016: Either Way, More Drama
- Mario Kart: Double Dash!!
Nearly half of German want Green Party to nominate candidate for next chancellorship race: survey have 328 words, post on www.xinhuanet.com at June 7, 2019. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.