Whole lotta history.
The first reason is a “whole lotta history”. Once a major player in the coveted spice trade, Hoi An served as a busy Asian trading port between the 16th and 19th centuries.
“The city attracted merchants from Japan, China, Portugal and France, and the resulting cultural milieu remains visible in everything from the mustard-colored shophouses to dining traditions, folk crafts and robust coffee culture,” CNN wrote.
The second reason is delicious food. Hoi An is commonly considered one of Vietnam’s best destinations for food lovers and it delivers on the hype.
CNN advises travelers that they’ll devour every kind of food experience here — graze street food snacks from roadside vendors, slurp noodles on plastic stools, enjoy fresh seafood by the beach or shell out for a splurge.
Some of the city’s best banh mi – stuffed with pate, barbecued pork, chili sauce and vegetables wrapped inside crispy baguettes – can be found in Old Town at spots like Madame Phuong or Madam Khanh the Banh Mi Queen.
The third reason is worthwhile souvenirs. There are high-quality souvenirs tempting you at every corner, from silk tailoring shops and custom leatherware workshops to coffee roasters, handmade ceramics stalls, beautiful bamboo lantern makers and contemporary home decor boutiques.
In addition, beautiful beaches are also the reason that you should visit Hoi An. The ancient town is more of a river town than a beach getaway, but sun seekers can easily reach the coastline. About a 10-minute drive northeast, travelers will find themselves overlooking the East Sea with sweeps of sand running for miles in both directions.
CNN lists reasons to visit Hoi An.
Whether you prefer to pedal around on a bicycle or zip off on a Vespa, Hoi An’s wide open country roads are ideal for exploring on two wheels. The city just launched a new bike-sharing program in June and most hotels offer bike rentals.
In 2018, Hoi An welcomed five million visitors, a 50.84% increase from the previous year, including 3.7 million foreigners, according to Quang Nam province Department of Tourism.
- Inside the $7K a week LA health retreat where you hike for 10 miles a day and have to adhere to a strict vegan diet of 1,400 calories - which A-list celebrities visit to help achieve their red carpet bodies
- Hoi An opens new destination in Tra Que for tourists
- Visit to Son Doong Cave among top adventurous experiences, say Britons
- Hotel Royal Hoi An – MGallery named among Top 10 Hotel Brands in Viet Nam
- Are you warm enough, Hoi An?
- Reasons for avoiding sex are often treatable
- CNN broadcasts series of short advertising clips about Hanoi
- Former CIA Chief Tells Wolf Blitzer Qassem Soleimani Was Never on Direct Target List
- Six big moments from Donald Trump's historic visit to North Korea
- The Obama and Trump reading lists, compared