The 10 candidates running to replace Britain’s outgoing Prime Minister Theresa May face the first round of voting on Thursday — when at least one will get the chop. Conservative MPs hold their first secret ballot in the governing party’s leadership contest as they begin whittling down the contenders. All 313 lawmakers can vote and any candidate who does not garner the support of 16 colleagues will drop out. If they all clear that hurdle, the one with the lowest number of votes is knocked out. May, who remains prime minister, stepped down as party leader on Friday, having failed to deliver her plan for taking Britain out of the European Union after nearly three years in the post. Bookmakers have ex-foreign secretary Boris Johnson as their odds-on favourite to win the contest to replace her. The former London mayor broke his silence to launch his campaign on Wednesday, saying he would only take Britain out of the EU without a deal as a “last resort” as he promised to unify a country deeply divided over Brexit. A cross-party effort to block a chaotic end to the 46-year partnership failed on Wednesday, potentially leaving more room for manoeuvre for a… Read full this story
- Democratic candidates face critical test in New Hampshire after Iowa fiasco
- It's MAYHEM Monday! Commuters face hellish battle to work through 'very strong gales' with planes and trains cancelled and even threat of SNOW just hours after 'Storm of the Century' Ciara wreaked havoc
- Buttigieg, Klobuchar face uphill battle in pivot to diverse states
- British PM Boris Johnson warns EU he will not delay Brexit
- Former British PM Cameron's bodyguard forgets loaded gun in plane toilet
- Bodyguard for ex-British PM David Cameron reportedly leaves gun inside plane bathroom
- Selma Blair Gets Candid About MS Battle with Throwback Photo: 'I Didn't Know What Was Happening'
- UK is the 'supercharged' free trade superman, British PM Johnson says
- British PM Theresa May: Manchester Terrorist Deliberately Targeted Children
- US Democrat candidates face first test
Candidates face first cull in battle to be British PM have 343 words, post on en.rfi.fr at June 12, 2019. This is cached page on VietNam Breaking News. If you want remove this page, please contact us.