Phnom Penh (VNA) – Prime Minister Samdech Techo Hun Sen on June 24 appointed senior minister in charge of special mission Kun Kim as first Vice-President of the National Committee for Disaster Management, replacing Nhim Vanda.
The same day, the PM agreed with the resignation of Preah Sihanouk provincial governor Yun Min and transferred Kampong Cham provincial governor Kuoch Chamroeun to Yun Min’s position.
These decisions were made following a collapse of a seven-storey building under construction in Preach Sihanouk province on June 22, which killed at least 28 people and injured 26 others to date.
All of the victims were Cambodian workers, the provincial authorities said in a statement, adding that the rescue operation is still going on to search for more victims.
In a post on his official Facebook page, Hun Sen said during his visit to the site of the collapsed building, Yun Min acknowledged mistakes for not governing the province well that led to the tragic accident.
“He submitted his resignation to me, and I accepted it,” he said.
However, the PM said Yun Min will still lead the rescue operation in the collapsed building until it ends.
On June 23, Hun Sen signed a decision establishing a committee to inspect the quality of all buildings that are under construction in Preah Sihanouk province.
Earlier, the spokesperson of the Ministry of Land Management, Urban Planning and Construction of Cambodia said that the construction of the seven-storey building is illegal, adding that local authorities have warned the Chinese contractor twice, but they kept neglecting.
Investigation on the most deadly building collapse is underway. The police have so far arrested four suspects, including the Chinese owner of the building, the director of a construction firm, head of the contractor and a Cambodian land owner.-VNA
- Death toll in Cambodia’s building collapse rises to 18
- 10 dead, at least 10 feared trapped in Mumbai building collapse
- Cambodian PM says country very stable after recent general election
- PM appoints three Vice Ministers
- Cambodian PM starts visit to Vietnam
- Mayor: 6 dead in US's Philadelphia building collapse
- Official welcoming ceremony for Cambodian PM Hun Sen
- At least one dead in Nairobi high-rise building collapse
- Six dead in Philadelphia building collapse, 14 injured
- Cambodian PM denies role in ASEAN U-turn on disputed waters